DISCOVER PATAGONIA

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

DISCOVER PATAGONIA

Postby g_traveller_7f38dc5d » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:39 am

I'm thinking about booking 14 DAYS - BUENOS AIRES TO BUENOS AIRES

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/disco ... onia/4238/

Has anyone been on this trip? What would be the best time to go? Thinking North American winter South American Summer 2018.

Thanks.
g_traveller_7f38dc5d
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: DISCOVER PATAGONIA

Postby annatow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi G Traveller. I did the tour in mid January this year.
I had a fabulous time. It was awe inspiring and interesting. Our CEO was great and it was very well organised and the upgrades made it very comfortable. The ferry border crossing between Bariloche in Argentina to Puerto Varas in Chile was very memorable and I cant say enough about Torres del Paine and the Morreno Glacier. All the local tour guides were very knowledgeable. We stayed two nights in each location so get ready to be on the move as we covered a lot of ground in 14 days. The group was small and the inclusive. I really had no problem with anyone. I hope you decide to do it and have a great time!
annatow

Postby g_traveller_7f38dc5d » Sat May 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks! I've booked it a few months ago! Can't wait to go. How would you recommend getting to the hotel from the airport and from the hotel to the airport at the end of the trip? I've heard you have you be very picky when getting a cab?
g_traveller_7f38dc5d

Postby g_traveller_22fb1be4 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:41 pm

My g/f and I will be making this trip in February of next year. Her and I are discussing the logistics of luggage and she would like to use a rolling suitcase while I'm leaning more towards a backpack (60L) with an additional daypack (30L).

Would you have any suggestions on whether using a rollable suitcase is doable or if even having a backpack is necessary versus just bringing along two suitcases and the daypack?

Thanks much.
kw
g_traveller_22fb1be4

Postby annatow » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi,
As it's an upgraded tour there is no need for a backpack. You will need to carry your luggage to and from airports, onto a minibus and to your hotel room and that's about it. I had a rolling bag about 60L and weighed approx 17kgs. A day pack is essential for getting around and for carrying water, camera etc as there are some hikes but they are no longer than 2-3 hours each at a comfortable pace. I found a 30l day pack was a good size.
Cheers
:)
annatow

Postby g_traveller_22fb1be4 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:44 am

Awesome. This is just what I'd hoped to hear. Thanks so much.
g_traveller_22fb1be4

Postby g_traveller_43269afd » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:16 pm

This is all great to hear! I booked this trip recently & am leaving in October. I am a notorious overpacker.
g_traveller_43269afd

Postby g_traveller_f244bde5 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi. I'm going on the Discover Patagonia tour in December (9-23). Do I need hiking boots with ankle support, or should I just bring a hiking shoe? I am trying to decide what to pack. Thanks to anyone who can help! :D
g_traveller_f244bde5

Postby g_traveller_22fb1be4 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am

I'm looking forward to hearing how the trip went and if you don't get a response to your question regarding footwear from a trip veteran I'd suggest going with the lightweight boots with ankle support. Better to be over prepared rather than find yourself spraining an ankle and limping along on such a wonderful itinerary.

Saw a review on another website which suggested overall the trip was great but they were a little disappointed with accommodations and food options that were provided. I look forward to hearing your overall reviews on this trip with your take on the same.

Cheers and best of times next month.
g_traveller_22fb1be4

Postby g_traveller_f244bde5 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. I have a feeling the "included breakfasts" will be the most disappointing food option. Guessing hotel breakfast? But, better to wake up to a mediocre breakfast than wake up to go to work. Looking on the bright side.
g_traveller_f244bde5

Return to South America