1 Day Inca Trail Hike - Is it wort it?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

1 Day Inca Trail Hike - Is it wort it?

Postby helix » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 am

Thinking about doing a trip to Peru that does not include Inca Trail but the train ride to Machu Picchu instead. There's an option to get a 1 day inca train hike permit which allows you to get off the train early and do the last part(?) of the Inca Trail (for 6 hours) to the Sun Gate and meet the rest of the group there. This sounds tempting but:

1. Is it worth of 349€ EXTRA to do this?
2. Is it really even the last part of the Inca Trail or just a (random) trek to get to the end of the Inca Trail?
3. I assume that the rest of the group will get to Machu Picchu something like 5 hours before you so does that mean that the people doing the hike have 5 hours LESS time to spend around Machu Picchu?
4. Anyone who has done this or talked to people who have? Would be nice to here about your experience...

I tried to search for the subject and also checked the FAQ but didn't really find any answers to my questions. Sorry if i've missed something...
helix
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: 1 Day Inca Trail Hike - Is it wort it?

Postby Janice08 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 am

That does seem like a lot of money for a 6 hour hike. The reason for the high cost is that the Inca Trail permits cost the same for one day as for the full 4 days. If you read the description carefully, you end up getting to Machu Picchu late in the afternoon before your "official" visit the next day. Those that take the train also have the option of visiting that afternoon but at their own cost (about $80 for the bus and admission). On the hike you do actually join in the last part of the trail where you enter through the sun gate. I've done the full Inca Trail and I've visited Machu Picchu on a different trip. On the second trip (not with G Adventures) we took the train up in the morning and we still had enough free time after our tour to walk up to the sun gate if that is something that you want to do.

If you want to do some hiking, another option is to use your free day in Cusco to do another hike in the area. You might have to research ahead of time to find something that interests you but there are a lot of trekking companies and guides in the area.
Janice08
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby g_traveller_a838c2ae » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 pm

I had the same option with my trip and decided that it looked worth it to me. I'll be hiking it on on Nov 1st. :) here's a youtube of the trail.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvlBlU9qqyg
g_traveller_a838c2ae
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby helix » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:55 am

Thanks for the answers - and great to see the video! Would be more than nice if you could tell us how the hike (and why not the whole tour!) was after you get back from your trip. :)

I'm thinking about doing the tour next summer, so I still have time to decide what to do...
helix

Postby g_traveller_a838c2ae » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:00 pm

I will let you know how it goes. :)
g_traveller_a838c2ae

Postby g_traveller_e2f39a3c » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:01 pm

We are doing the Machu Picchu Adventure tour in April. We have booked the one day adventure. I think the experience will be well worth it.
Can't wait to hear about everyone's experience
g_traveller_e2f39a3c
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to South America