Sim cards and Peru

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Sim cards and Peru

Postby g_traveller_5fa6023e » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Does anyone know how easy/where you can pick up a local sim card in Peru? Can I buy one at the airport? I just want data to be able to whatsapp my partner and family to let them know all is fine etc.
Thanks!
g_traveller_5fa6023e
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Sim cards and Peru

Postby Janice08 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:40 pm

I've never tried getting a SIM card in Peru so can't help you there. However, if all you are wanting is to send a few messages every few days then most of the hotels have free Wi-Fi. Its not the fastest in Peru but it works. Besides that, there is no internet on the Inca Trail or in the Amazon so if you are going there you wouldn't have it regardless.
Janice08
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby kcupp95 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:47 am

I didn't bother with a SIM card in Peru.

All the hotels had decent wifi.
kcupp95

Postby g_traveller_5fa6023e » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:22 am

Thanks both! I might just rely on the WiFi then 😂
g_traveller_5fa6023e

Postby g_traveller_9d25360c » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:48 pm

I know they rent cellphones at the airport with Peruvian numbers, so you can make phone calls & receive with no problems & send/receive texts. You have to give a Credit Card deposit, pre-pay for a phone package & at the end when you have to return the phone they'll give you a final bill which is not expensive unless u go over ur allowance. Most restaurants, bars, hotels, etc will have free Wifi. Some r open Wifi & most you have to get the passwords from them & as long as you are a paying customer they'll give it to u. I don't know about SIM cards ....
ImageImage
Ask me about my trip to Egypt
g_traveller_9d25360c
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Graybeard » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:40 pm

One doesn't need to buy a card of any kind to sin in Peru. The opportunities are there if one chooses to partake.

Ooops. SIM not sin.

Nevermind. :lol:
Graybeard

Postby g_traveller_9c4cb0e3 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:50 pm

For what it's worth, of my 11 day trip coming up, 5 of the days are in areas with a strong signal.

Those are partially days where we can explore the entire day (rest from the Inca trail hike, etc.) and some where tours and activities are already planned. Because of the extra time built into it, I wanted to have a signal for a few things:

1. Update family/friends - maybe share a few pictures
2. Catch up on just a little bit of email before bed
3. Find restaurants and/or be able to get an Uber when it's a totally spare day

For such an expensive trip (this is the most expensive trip I've ever done), I really don't mind the $30 or $40 for a Movistar SIM card even though it's for a little less than 2 weeks. I believe they offer 1GB and 2GB plans for this and the latter is only $5 more, so I'll go with that.
g_traveller_9c4cb0e3

Postby kiwileigh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi all, I'm off to do the Absolute Peru next week... so excited... its my most expensive trip too and the longest period away from family so i would feel more comfortable with Peruvian sim card if I can get one. Are the Movistar sim cards easy to get?

Cheers
Leigh
kiwileigh
User Rank: Weekender

Postby aussie_darren » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:30 am

I stayed in the Mira Flores district of Lima and just walked down the main road until I came across a mobile shop.

I bought a Claro SIM card and had no problem at all during my trip.
aussie_darren

Postby samanthasayer1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 am

I'm covering a few different areas of South America starting next week and have done a bit of research into SIM cards but it seems I might have to get a different SIM card for each destination which is a bit of a pain :|

Just on the off chance if anyone found a decent UK phone card or SIM that can be used internationally or a phone card/SIM overseas that covered multiple areas of South America please let me know!

I am travelling to Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Peru and Uruguay. Thanks!
samanthasayer1

Postby Janice08 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 pm

samanthasayer1 wrote:I'm covering a few different areas of South America starting next week and have done a bit of research into SIM cards but it seems I might have to get a different SIM card for each destination which is a bit of a pain :|

Just on the off chance if anyone found a decent UK phone card or SIM that can be used internationally or a phone card/SIM overseas that covered multiple areas of South America please let me know!

I am travelling to Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Peru and Uruguay. Thanks!

There are international sim cards that can be used in multiple countries. Just google "international sim". However, the cost isn't that great. It falls somewhere in the middle of using a Canadian phone on roaming and buying a local sim. Not sure about the roaming rates for UK sim cards. If you are wanting one for 6 countries it might actually work out less than buying 6 separate sim cards if you don't use it a lot.

Regardless of which you choose, unless using your home phone on roaming, make sure your phone is unlocked.

You might also want to look into apps that allow phone calls for communicating back home (google chat, skype to landline, WhatsApp, etc.) and then just using available Wi-Fi.
Janice08

Return to South America