Hiking boots vs Runners on Inca Trail in August

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Hiking boots vs Runners on Inca Trail in August

Postby g_traveller_87603cc3 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:04 am

Hi there,

Trying to decide on things to pack for the 'Peru on a Shoestring' which includes the inca trail. I'm going in August 2017 and wanting to be minimalistic with regards to luggage as I will be travelling North America for a few months prior to this trip.

Is it better to take hiking boots compared to runners? Or will I be OK with runners along the trail?
Has anyone completed the trek in August and can suggest clothing to pack with regards to weather?

Cheers :)
g_traveller_87603cc3
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Hiking boots vs Runners on Inca Trail in August

Postby g_traveller_17c31d92 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi there,

I'll be there in August too. Everyone I have spoken to has said if your doing the trek you should defiantly wear hiking boots (the rough terrain isn't always predictable).
I'm away 6 weeks so got a pair of mid height light weight Columbia ones so I can wear them everyday. Depending where in the world you are, you can pick up some pretty decent branded, cheap ones.
Hope that helps a little!?

Sarah
g_traveller_17c31d92

Re: Hiking boots vs Runners on Inca Trail in August

Postby Graybeard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am

Ah, I see that the much discussed Inca Trail-Hiking boots question is once again being asked. A "search" of this topic will provide a lot of assistance. But, in brief, here's some info: Yes, folks do hike the trail in all sorts of footwear, and some come to regret their choice. If you are already a hiker, esp. in larger hills and mountains, your current hiking boots would likely work. When I did the Trail, I used my well broken in ankle high boots, which I prefer b/c they give better support and traction. Lower cut pairs of boots were observed as were GOOD quality trail running shoes. (NOTE: depending which English speaking country you are from, this can mean different things.) The trail is rocky in spots so a good footbed with support is necessary. The stone steps can be VERY slippery. Whatever you chose be sure they are well broken in prior. New boots can ruin your trip and your feet.

As far as clothing - this too has been much discussed lately. The answer is: layers! On the trail, you only need a (Yes, one!) change of clothes, plus rain, wind protection, etc. The amount you can take is limited.
Graybeard
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Return to South America