Hawaii

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Hawaii

Postby _kat_ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:30 am

Is there anyone who has been to Hawaii and would like to share thoughts on the brand new trip G offers?

What do you think about the itinerary? It seems quite rushed, but then all group trips have a certain pace (which is a lot faster than how I travel when I am traveling solo).

What about the islands that are visited and the activities? Do you think this trip is a winner?
_kat_
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Hawaii

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 am

Which trip is this? The Multi-Island Adventure (the other 2 seem to be separate halves of the Multi-Island)? It seems like a reasonable itinerary to me. Kualoa Ranch is a great location to picnic and enjoy nature. If you're doing the Diamond Head hike, do yourself a favor and do it at dawn. You'll have to get there around 5 AM to get to the top in time to enjoy the dawn rising (and you'll want a head lamp or flashlight!) but it's spectacular. You can also do it as an afternoon hike to enjoy sunset over Waikiki but I prefer to start in the dark and finish in light than vice-versa.

Kapa`a and Na Pali are simply breathtaking. Kihei is too built up for my tastes now but I remember when Lahaina was just a small town and Kihei wasn't even that. In addition to driving the road to Hana, see if you can book a snorkeling or dive trip to Molokini Crater.

I prefer Hilo over Kailua-Kona myself but the trip they have outlined on the Big Island is pretty good. If you're lucky, the farmers market will be going on in Hilo. It misses the rainforest and tundra of the north end of the island but Volcanoes National Park is amazing. I'd advocate spending 2 days there (or more) but you can get the sense of it in the one day they have outlined. Pu`uohonua o Honaunau (aka City of Refuge) is rather unique -- fantastic scenery but even better cultural experience IMO.

That's really a whirlwind of a tour but it's a good sampler and will give you a chance to decide what to hit on your SECOND and THIRD visits to Paradise.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Hawaii

Postby _kat_ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 am

Thanks for your insights on this trip!

I was planning on staying in Hawaii for an extra week after the trip to relax and do some excursions at my own pace. Any tips for that? I haven't thought about any specific island. I'm only starting to do my research. :-)
_kat_

Return to North America