National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound

Postby g_traveller_9c466c36 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:50 am

Hello, I will be doing the National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound in 2 weeks I am super excited. Just wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions. I am going with my boyfriend. I am taking a backpack but he will bring a suitcase, he is not much of an adventure traveler compared to me. Would a suitcase be okay? Should I bring a sleeping bag on the tour?

Thanks
g_traveller_9c466c36
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound

Postby labradorian.traveler » Mon May 15, 2017 7:20 am

I've never done the tour myself but I am going on it in 5 weeks. You have to bring your own sleeping bag/pillow. Suitcase should be fine, be prepared to carry it from the vehicle to the camp site. Make sure to read through the tour details page. URL for the page is below.

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/natio ... 7/details/
labradorian.traveler
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Janice08 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:24 am

Can't help with the suitcase much, but if its soft sided should be okay. As already pointed out, sleeping bags are not included. The trip notes say that you have the opportunity to buy one on day one. If you want to go shopping ahead of time, MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) is a good place to buy quality backpacking stuff. The membership is only $5. There is another outdoor stop across the street as well. Other options are WalMart or Canadian Tire (despite the name it sells a lot more than automotive supplies) if you don't care so much about quality as price. Others have said in trip reviews that if they didn't want their sleeping bag at the end of the trip, the CEO (tour leader) has arranged for them to be given to a homeless shelter.

What I want to emphasize for a spring trip, is that you want your sleeping bag to be warm! You can purchase a winter rated sleeping bag or buy an extra fleece blanket or sleeping bag liner. I live in the Canadian Rockies (south of where you will be) and this year we have had a late spring. It was snowing yesterday. So, besides a warm sleeping bag, bring a toque (wool or fleece hat), gloves, and other warm clothes that you can layer. You may only need the for an hour or two in the morning and late evening but you'll be glad that you have them. Don't let this put you off. It could be 25 degrees during the day. Once you get closer to the coast the weather will warm up dramatically and will probably be summer conditions when you get there.

This trip offers a lot of variety and visits great places. I've been to all the places on the itinerary and you'll see and do things to give you great memories.
Janice08
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby g_traveller_9c466c36 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 am

Thank you both for the tips and advice.. This is very useful. I couldn't remember about the sleeping bags, I booked the trip a long time ago. :D
g_traveller_9c466c36

Postby g_traveller_b186c052 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 am

Hi Janice
I've booked this trip too for late July/early August.
Will I still need a winter style sleeping bag? Or will the nights be a little warmer?
g_traveller_b186c052

Postby Janice08 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 am

g_traveller_b186c052 wrote:Hi Janice
I've booked this trip too for late July/early August.
Will I still need a winter style sleeping bag? Or will the nights be a little warmer?

It probably will be warmer, but you could still get a frost at night. If you aren't sure if your sleeping bag is warm enough, buy a sleeping bag liner or a blanket to give you extra warmth. That way you'll have options if it is warmer and it might be all you need when you get to Vancouver Island.

I was in Banff National Park late July last year and it rained all day with a bit of snow mixed in (didn't stick to the ground). I've been there the same time other years and it was 25 degrees and sunny.

Unfortunately for planning, the only thing predictable about the weather in the mountains is that it is unpredictable!
Janice08

Postby bstaden » Fri May 19, 2017 12:57 pm

NEVERMIND SEE BELOW.
Last edited by bstaden on Fri May 19, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bstaden
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Janice08 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm

bstaden wrote:The staff at MEC will be able to help you out. I see the page recommends a 0 C sleeping bag, which I would definitely agree with. Buy a sleeping bag liner too. It's an extra layer and although I am sure that MEC washes the bag, it might help for cleanliness.

Are you talking about renting a bag? Because if you are, it will be cheaper to buy a sleeping bag than to rent it. According to the MEC website, its $75/week and you would have to go back to Calgary to return it. $150 will get you a decent sleeping bag if you aren't needing it for back-country backpacking (which you aren't).
Janice08

Postby g_traveller_b186c052 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Thank you for all your advise :)
g_traveller_b186c052

Postby Janice08 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Just for information's sake, I was just at WalMart in Alberta (small town south of Calgary) and for anyone looking for an inexpensive sleeping bag, they had a couple that were rated at 0 or -1 Celsius for $40CDN plus gst (5% tax). A bigger store in Calgary might have a better selection. I tend to sleep cold so if it were me, I would also get a blanket or sleeping bag liner to add some more warmth. The WalMart I was at doesn't carry sleeping bag liners and their blanket selection was limited (starting at $13). You might considering bringing a sleeping bag liner or a small fleece blanket that you could use on the plane if you have an overnight flight.
Janice08

Return to North America