ICELAND NORTHERN LIGHTS & GOLDEN CIRCLE TOUR

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

ICELAND NORTHERN LIGHTS & GOLDEN CIRCLE TOUR

Postby g_traveller_82d32100 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:52 am

Hi there,
I've signed up for this trip. I have 2 free days - Day 1 arrival and Day 5 departure. I am thinking of booking a day trip on my arrival day (I arrive early 6am) or a half day trip somewhere. I think I'll keep Blue Lagoon & Reykjavik for Day 5 since my flight is at 5pm and Blue Lagoon is near the airport....perhaps I can spend an hour or two in town then head to Blue Lagoon. Any suggestions on where to book day trips and what to see? Also, I believe one needs to book for blue lagoon but where to book?!

Has anyone taken this trip? How was it? Has anyone taken this trip in March? I'm wondering if I should get heavy duty winter boots? I looked up temps in March in Iceland and they are plus 3 to 8 with an occasional -2. That's not bad at all which makes me wonder if it's necessary to bring heavy duty (temp rating of -50) winter boots. I'm not sure with the Glacier hike.....hence the question. I have regular winter boots but these are ankle length and good for -10 to -15 temps. Not sure what to do!

Your advise is very much appreciated.

Thank you!
g_traveller_82d32100
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: ICELAND NORTHERN LIGHTS & GOLDEN CIRCLE TOUR

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:24 pm

You can book the Blue Lagoon online at bluelagoon.com . I would suggest you book early. Lots of people want to spend time there on the way to the airport so we found it difficult to get the time we wanted when we finally booked. We booked the package that included the robes and slippers so we could wander around :D
We were there in the summer so I can't comment on the boots.
When the winds of change begin to blow some people build walls. Others build windmills.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby g_traveller_82d32100 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Thank you IncaTrail! :)
g_traveller_82d32100

Postby andrea2121 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi there,

You should check out Reykjavik Excursions (www.re.is) for info on different day trips. It's the same company that runs the buses to/from the airport and downtown Reykjavik so you'll see them around!

Cheers,
Andrea
andrea2121
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby g_traveller_82d32100 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Very helpful, thank you Andrea.
g_traveller_82d32100

Postby g_traveller_a13c35fe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 am

Did you already go? I'm trying to get more info on this trip but can't see more details about it like lodging. How was the hotel in Reykjavík? The farmhouse?

Are the rooms limited to 2 people per room or will the have 3 or more for single travelers?
How early did the activities start?

Thanks!!!
g_traveller_a13c35fe

Postby g_traveller_82d32100 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi g_traveller_a13c35fe,

Yes, I did go and it was an AWESOME trip! We SAW the Northern Lights! The trip is well paced and had a good number of activities. The hotel Skuggi was decent and yes there are two per room. The farmhouse was also lovely and again two per room. I'd say they are not "luxurious" but they are 3-4 star accommodation, if that helps. I'm sure you'll have a great trip! Just know that the March 30th was the last chance for spotting the Northern Lights. Your chances of viewing it is higher during the winter months and when the sky is clear.

Sorry, just picked up your message....I didn't get any notification.

Best,
Gwen
g_traveller_82d32100

Postby g_traveller_a13c35fe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi Gwen!

Awesome thank you for the info. I didn't get a notification either and just saw your message when I logged in.

I will be going early November, hopefully that will be a great time to see the lights.

Sofia
g_traveller_a13c35fe

Postby g_traveller_ab175b6b » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:45 pm

Hey everyone I wanted to know for those of you who did go on this trip when you went to the Thingvellir National Park Visit was there enough time to snorkel the tectonic plates?
g_traveller_ab175b6b

Postby g_traveller_204188 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi
I'm going on this trip in a few weeks. I've booked BlueLagoon for Day 5, plan is to go from Hotel to Spa to Airport.

For Day 1, I land around 6AM and, my plan is to do site seeing around Reykjavik including a 2.5 hour Whale Watching Tour, they leave at 10AM and 1PM, but, I was planning to play that one by ear.
g_traveller_204188

Postby g_traveller_db9bfd7f » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 pm

I am going in October and I know the water is safe to drink in town. Is the water at the farmhouse drinkable or do I need to bring purification tablets? Thank you.
g_traveller_db9bfd7f

Postby kristenvanderkooy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm

To everyone planning to take this trip - here are some tips before you go:
1) bring a thermos or concealed drinking bottle - you can drink your own alcohol at the guest house, but only in your room - other wise you are forced to buy from the bar on site. Don't let her catch you drinking your own though!
2) on both guest house day excursions you will be packing your own lunch. Provided is meat, cheese and veggies and butter. If you want Mustard or mayo so its not dry - bring your own. My plan going forward is also to bring some oatmeal packets for breakfasts.
3) when you check the temp for Reykjavik before leaving, factor in that it will be 5-10 degrees colder in the country. You may want hot pads, snow pants etc for November through the winter travel
4) download the Northern lights photo app - will help you catch the lights on your phone. I also downloaded the Aurora Alerts app, which seemed pretty accurate.
5) buy some wine/beer/booze in duty free on your way through the airport when you arrive. EVERYTHING is very expensive here - this will help a little :)
Hope that helps! Enjoy your trip!
kristenvanderkooy

Postby d_penrod@hotmail.com » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm

kristenvanderkooy wrote:To everyone planning to take this trip - here are some tips before you go:
1) bring a thermos or concealed drinking bottle - you can drink your own alcohol at the guest house, but only in your room - other wise you are forced to buy from the bar on site. Don't let her catch you drinking your own though!
2) on both guest house day excursions you will be packing your own lunch. Provided is meat, cheese and veggies and butter. If you want Mustard or mayo so its not dry - bring your own. My plan going forward is also to bring some oatmeal packets for breakfasts.
3) when you check the temp for Reykjavik before leaving, factor in that it will be 5-10 degrees colder in the country. You may want hot pads, snow pants etc for November through the winter travel
4) download the Northern lights photo app - will help you catch the lights on your phone. I also downloaded the Aurora Alerts app, which seemed pretty accurate.
5) buy some wine/beer/booze in duty free on your way through the airport when you arrive. EVERYTHING is very expensive here - this will help a little :)
Hope that helps! Enjoy your trip!

This is what has been missing from my life! Thank you very much for this!
d_penrod@hotmail.com
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Europe