Mont Blanc Accommodation

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Mont Blanc Accommodation

Postby g_traveller_208391 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 am

Hi All,

I'm doing the TMB on 20.07.17 and I have a bunch of questions I was hoping someone that has done the tour before might be able to answer.

1. Do I need to bring a sleeping bag liner with me on my Mont Blanc Trek or do the refuges have clean sheets?

2. What is the 'shower situation' works at the refuges. Will we have a chance to shower every evening after our day's trekking?

3. What time does the average day start and end? and what is the temperature like at night?
I'm trying to figure out whether to bring summer or winter PJs.

and last of all

4. Will I need a swimsuit?

I'd love any other information and tips you might think important.

Thanking you in advance.
Alice :D
g_traveller_208391
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Mont Blanc Accommodation

Postby firemom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 am

I just returned from this fabulous trip!!!

1. yes you need a sleeping bag liner. Bedding seemed clean, but have one.
2. Showers were available every night. Some were timed, some were not.
3. Most days we started around 7am for breakfast hitting the trail by 8. Give or take a bit each day. Most days we finished between 3-5. Dinner was at 7pm. Temperature wise for me (June 17-26) was HOT!!!!!!!!! I did not need any warm clothing.
4. No swimsuit required!!!

Enjoy!!!!!
Everest Base Camp April 2016
Mont Blanc June 2017
What's next??????
firemom
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby g_traveller_208391 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Thank you for your advice.
You've been super helpful and it's good to know that the weather has been warm.
Have you considered the Inca Trail for your next trek. It's short but amazing.
g_traveller_208391

Postby firemom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 am

I have considered the Inca trail, just need to determine when, as my hubby wants to do that one with me (all others have been solo).

Enjoy the trek!!! Take your time and enjoy the scenery. I was last in almost everyday... I loved it!!! SO different than where I live (Ontario Canada)

It is a hard go at times, but if you are prepared it is fine. I had a major issue with my toe on one foot and struggles for a few days (had to switch to running shoes as could not put boots on for 3 days). Had never had foot issues before in my life and still can not determine what caused the problem..... Oh well, group support was great as was support from CEO.... I perservered and finished!!!

Enjoy!! Feel free to ask anything more!!!
Mont Blanc June 2017
What's next??????
firemom

Postby g_traveller_08465974 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:52 am

Hi firemom and Alice

I'm doing this trip in early September and am really looking forward to it.

Firemom - I'd be interested to know a bit more about how difficult you found the walk (starting to worry that I'm not fit enough!) and whether there was a range of abilities in your group? I've done the Inca trail and enjoyed that but we had porters to help with our bags and it wasn't as long as this trail. I wonder if this trip may attract the more serious walkers though!

Also, was there chance to get any laundry done during the week?

Finally, did the group do anything in the day off in Courmayeur? I read there was an option to go to the spa or cablecars.

Thanks in advance! :D
g_traveller_08465974
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby firemom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:49 am

Hi!!!

As far as difficulty goes, as long as you have done training for inclines, you will be fine. I found 1 day very hard (uphill for 2-3hours), the rest were "hard" but do-able for someone with a moderate fitness level. I consider myself to be in decent shape (for a 44 year old). Inclines were the hardest and downhills were tough on the feet!! make sure your boots are well broken in!!
Stairs and hills are great practice!! This one wasn't as hard as EBC, but not a walk in the park either. Our CEO was great and we each took our own pace. I was usually about 15 mins or so behind the others. Terrain varies from grass fields to rocky paths to stream crossings...

A few in our group found a laundromat in Courmayeur, but I just washed my clothes as I went.

Don't stress about the weight of your pack. Mine was about 20lbs, most were the same. In the end we all said we could have done with less clothes/stuff but no one ever complained about the weight on their back. It actually becomes un-noticeable on your back after awhile. Pack sensibly and you will be fine. 2 shirts, 1 shorts, 1 long pant, 2-3 underwear/sports bras, sleeping clothes, 2/3 socks, rain gear and toiletries. Bring flip flops (lightweight and great for evenings, however most refuges have slippers for you)

Rest day in Courmayeur is up to you!!! We had 1 go to spa and she said was best spa EVER!! A few did cable cars which they loved. Some just rested, It is a beautiful town to explore. I met up with a friend who I had done the EBC with the year before and he lives in Italy, so he came to visit me!! Was so nice to see him!!

Enjoy your trips!!! It really was beautiful!!! Take care of your feet!!! I had an infection in my toe that was very painful for 3 days of trek (almost had to stop but I kept going) Also, don't try to rush to keep up with others!! You paid good money to be there, so take your time and enjoy it!!!!!

Cheers
Toni
Mont Blanc June 2017
What's next??????
firemom

Return to Europe