Extra days after tour

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Extra days after tour

Postby firemom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 am

Hello!!! I am doing Trekking Mont Blanc from June 17-26. I have made arrangements to stay in Europe until July 2. I have a friend who lives in Belgium and we are meeting up. I am flying from Geneva to Luxembourg where she will meet me. She has a car so we can get around.
Does anyone who has travelled in Europe have any recommendations as to what we can see ? We will be in Luxembourg, Belgium and can cross into Germany and France. What are some must see places in an around those areas????
Everest Base Camp April 2016
Mont Blanc June 2017
What's next??????
firemom
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Extra days after tour

Postby cat5568 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:43 am

Hi there, I visited Bruges in Belgium a few years ago and I loved it! Spent the best part of 4 days there and found plenty to do - tried lots of beer, hired bikes, walked, went to the chocolate museum, climbed to the top of the belfort, went on a boat trip...it's a beautiful city.
I also have vague memories of visiting Heidelburg in Germany on a school trip about 15 years ago and that's a beautiful city too but I don't remember much except from visiting the castle and part of the university (it has a really really old university which I found interesting)
Also, I haven't been but if you're into history, what about the Somme in northern France?
Good luck with your planning and let me know if you have any other questions!
cat5568

Postby movieaddict_traveller » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:54 am

Heidelberg is indeed a very nice city. You can also go to Lille in France or explore the Normandy coast.
Have fun!
ImageImage
movieaddict_traveller

Postby g_traveller_208391 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:11 am

Hi,
I agree with the other two recommendations, Bruges is stunning and Heidelberg is a beautiful city. Another city worth a visit and not too far away would be Strasbourg in France. It's just lovely.
There are so many beautiful places to see. If you wanted to drive a little further there are many beautiful towns around Munich and if you're not tired of the alps yet you could visit Konigsee, Chiemsee, Rupholding and surrounds. It's all very pretty.
g_traveller_208391
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby dreaded_luggage » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:09 pm

I would say you're doing it the wrong way round, your friend should fly to join you and you should drive Montreux-Aigle-Zweisimmen-Spiez-Interlaken-Grindelwald and hike up through the meadows onto the ridge, walk along it to Kleiner Scheidegg for dinner and take the train back down to Grindelwald ... or southwest to Le Puy, Langogne, Mende and Florac then down the Tarn to Millau ... or Martigny-Sion-Brig-Crevoladossola-Cannobio for some time by Lago Maggiore ...

Starting at Brussels, Sword Beach in Normandy is 5 hours, which is half of each of two days gone already. Köln is only half that. I'm not sure what's there beyond the cathedral, though. Bruges and Amsterdam are the only names near Brussels that I know are popular destinations.
dreaded_luggage
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Europe