Pack Size & Packing MUSTS for Mont Blanc

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Pack Size & Packing MUSTS for Mont Blanc

Postby firemom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Curious from those who have done Mont Blanc trek...... Best size of pack and what was ESSENTIAL to pack? I have a 33L Osprey pack that I took to EBC, but we did not carry our own gear for the 15 days. We had sherpas. We only carried out day gear. I know on this trek we carry everything ourselves and I am good with that, just wondering from experience what size is best and what on the list is essential? I am going mid June so temperature wise unsure what will be needed....
Thanks
Toni
Everest Base Camp April 2016
Mont Blanc June 2017
What's next??????
firemom
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Pack Size & Packing MUSTS for Mont Blanc

Postby g_traveller_208391 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi,
From what I can tell by reading all the other posts a 32 to 35 lt pack should suffice. I'm doing Mt Blanc in July and I'm taking a 32 lt. I don't really want to carry more than that. We also have a free day half way through the trip where we can have our washing done so we really only need to pack for 5 days.
I hope this helps.
Thanks
Alice:)
g_traveller_208391

Postby texaco98 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:17 am

Hello, I did this trip in July of 2015 and it was fantastic. My pack was 36L but there were others that were smaller. (about 32 to 33)
Generally, at the end of the day everybody did a bit of washing. The rest day was in Courmayeur, which was a little slice of heaven. Again, if you stay at the same hotel that I did, you can just wash in your room. Make sure that your clothes are quick dry, no cotton. During my trip there was not a single drop of rain, so I was quite lucky. Also, I had to wear my jacket maybe one time the entire time. If I recall, it mentioned to bring gaiters...don't bother. We walked through a bit of snow but I don't think they were needed at all.
Here is a tip: Bring some snacks from home like granola bars, dried fruit, etc... You will have limited access to stores along the route.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy help.
texaco98
User Rank: Weekender

Postby dragon_fly_31 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm doing trek july 24 to aug 2, anyone know what's the recommended weight of the backpack should be? What does 32-36L backpack size translate into weight? the last long trek I did was in Peru Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu, and there we had also sherpas. I'm really trying to minimize the weight of my backpack, am I too optimistic with trying to keep the weight of it under 10 lbs (5kg).

Liz
dragon_fly_31
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby texaco98 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Liz - I can't recall exactly the recommended weight but mine was about 16 lbs and my bag had a capacity of 36L. I basically followed the list provided by GA of what to bring. My bag was full but not too tight/about to burst. 10lbs seems a bit optimistic... I could have shaved 1 or 2 lbs I think, but if I had to do it again I would've brought some dried fruit snacks, etc...from home.
texaco98

Return to Europe