Trek Hidden Costa Rica_ size of pack for trek?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Trek Hidden Costa Rica_ size of pack for trek?

Postby travelerdavis-2014 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi All. I am going on the Trek Hidden Costa Rica at the end of December. The trip details say bring a day pack but I am wondering how big it needs to be. Has someone done this trip before? For the multi day trek I assume the only belongings I will have will be in the day pack, or do they transport luggage ahead?
Also do I need to bring any bedding - sleeping bag or sleep sack?

Thanks for any info. Any other tips are appreciated too!

Thanks!!
Lynn
travelerdavis-2014
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Trek Hidden Costa Rica_ size of pack for trek?

Postby featherf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:50 am

I just got back from this trip a few weeks ago; it was amazing! I used a 28 litre pack which provided more than enough space for a change of clothes, swimsuit & PJ's, warm layers, my camera case, miscellaneous bits and up to 2 litres of water in my hydration bladder. Most of the group were carrying packs in the 25-35 range. A supportive hip belt is important and a rain cover is essential, and I'd advise doubling up on the waterproofing by having your electronics & clothes in a drybag inside your pack.

The trip is divided into two trekking portions, 3 nights then 2 nights, with a night at the beach in between to dry out your boots, do laundry (you wouldn't think you'd need laundry after only 3 nights but trust me...) and relax. You'll be carrying everything you need for the trekking days with the rest of your luggage meeting up with you on the in-between night and at the end. All bedding is provided but if you sleep cold like I do bring warm sleepwear, it can get cold at those elevations.

If you have any other questions let me know!
featherf

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean