Costa Rica currency

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Costa Rica currency

Postby g_traveller_ab54de48 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 am

Hi!

I'm heading on the Basic Costa Rica tour early December 2017, just wondered about the currency if anyone had any advice, would it be okay to just take US dollars, as in do theydispense dollars from ATMs or would it be better to take the colon as currency?
g_traveller_ab54de48
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica currency

Postby espenlok » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:46 pm

g_traveller_ab54de48 wrote:Hi!

I'm heading on the Basic Costa Rica tour early December 2017, just wondered about the currency if anyone had any advice, would it be okay to just take US dollars, as in do theydispense dollars from ATMs or would it be better to take the colon as currency?

Dollars can be used for 99-100 % of your purchases in Costa Rica. ATMs in Costa Rica dispense both dollars and colons. Generally, it is a little cheaper to use dollars for anything priced in dollars, and colons for anything priced in colons. But it's not very important, and lots of people use only dollars for their entire stay.
espenlok
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Costa Rica currency

Postby bhaktiyogis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 pm

espenlok wrote:
g_traveller_ab54de48 wrote:Hi!

Dollars can be used for 99-100 % of your purchases in Costa Rica. ATMs in Costa Rica dispense both dollars and colons. Generally, it is a little cheaper to use dollars for anything priced in dollars, and colons for anything priced in colons. But it's not very important, and lots of people use only dollars for their entire stay.

They are perfectly correct but to get the best deal on everything I recommend getting colones. Everything will be more expensive in US dollars.
bhaktiyogis

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean