Costa Rice - San Jose Airport - Taxi

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Costa Rice - San Jose Airport - Taxi

Postby g_traveller_855f295a » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 am

Do I pay the £35 (45USD) that G Adventures charges for a taxi from the Airport to the hotel or is it cheaper just to grab one from outside the Airport, and how easy is it to do? Any Advice?
g_traveller_855f295a
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rice - San Jose Airport - Taxi

Postby Graybeard » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 pm

G is now charging $45?! Ouch!! While it has been a few years since I used the G airport pick up taxi in San Jose, I know that it was MUCH less expensive then.

So, a few thoughts. I booked the G service because after a multi hour international travel day with arrival in the middle of the night, I knew myself well enough to know that my mind would be total "fudge" :shock: :? . Handling the taxi situation in a foreign airport where I do no speak the language would have been overwhelming. And, I was very glad I did choose that option as when I arrived in SJ it was totally NUTS in the taxi area, with hordes of drivers yelling "CAB! CAB! CAB!". (Or, at 3 AM, that was what I think they were shouting.)

However, there have been a number of other folks in this forum that did have the fortitude to tackle the issue head on and did just fine. A search of the topic should turn up some of their advice.
Graybeard
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby g_traveller_e84ef3cf » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 pm

We returned from San Jose a couple of weeks ago. The cost of the ride from the hotel to the aiprort (per our G Adv guide) was supposed to be $35, but when we arrived at the airport the driver charged us far less.

Most of the taxis we took there were very reasonably priced, but I will agree with what was posted above. When you first arrive in San Jose and reach the cab stand, the sheer number of drivers and the volume of people trying to attract your attention can be overwhelming. For me it was WAY easier and less overwhelming to have a ride already arranged, but I am also still learning to be a more adventurous traveler.
g_traveller_e84ef3cf

Postby g_traveller_855f295a » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:26 am

Thank you both for the reply - I have booked with G for when I land and I will sort out the return leg when i'm there. Cheers
g_traveller_855f295a

Postby andrea2121 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 pm

If it's any help, when I did the Costa Rica Quest a few years back, our CEO made all of the arrangements for people to get back to the airport. On the second-last day she took down all of our departing flight information and then booked taxis/vans to come pick us up from our hotel (at all hours of the night) and we were guaranteed a flat rate. There will also likely be people leaving on the same flights as yours so you can probably share the costs.

I also did the prepaid taxi from the airport to the hotel upon arrival and was really glad I did. As others have mentioned, the crowds and confusion at the arrivals area was overwhelming (probably the busiest/most chaotic of any airport I've ever landed at!) so I was glad to see someone there waiting for me to help me get out of there!
andrea2121
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean