Costa Rica in January - my first solo trip

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Costa Rica in January - my first solo trip

Postby g_traveller_1943680f » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Hey :)

I'm planning to take my first solo trip with G Adventures early next year - probably in January or February. This will also be my first trip outside of Europe so I've never been anywhere with a tropical/Caribbean climate. I'm particularly interested in the Costa Rica Adventure tour and was just wondering whether anyone has done this and what the weather in Costa Rica is like in January? Would it be warm enough to swim comfortably in the sea etc on the beach days? Also, any opinions on whether this is a good choice for my first solo trip? I love animals/nature but have no idea what being in/around the rainforest is actually like! Would it be better suited to a more experienced traveller?

Thanks! x
g_traveller_1943680f
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica in January - my first solo trip

Postby lissy_r » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:51 pm

G Adventures is a great way to do your first solo trip. I have travelled with them many times and always made friends and enjoyed my time.

I went to Costa Rica in December a couple of years ago and the weather was great. Very hot and sticky, so I recommend breathable sportswear, and a lot of sunscreen. We had one day of really heavy rain but it was still warm.

I was also nervous about travelling alone but with G, your guides are always there to help and there are plenty of other solo travellers to spend time with.
lissy_r

Postby kateyb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Costa Rica is a great place for someone who may not consider themselves an experienced traveler. They have a strong tourist infrastructure.
kateyb
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby g_traveller_1943680f » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:06 am

Thanks for your replies! :)

I'm still a bit nervous but also looking forward to the adventure and making new friends. The more I learn about Costa Rica the more excited I get.

Can I ask what wildlife you saw? I'd love to see some of the birdlife like hummingbirds and toucans but also I think some species of turtle nest and hatch in January?

Thanks,

Lucy x
g_traveller_1943680f

Postby andrea2121 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:56 pm

You will absolutely love Costa Rica - I did the Costa Rica Quest with G a few years ago and it was hands-down one of the best trips I've ever been on. I went in early April and saw: monkeys, sloths, tree frogs, iguanas, hummingbirds, butterflies, lots of birds (but no toucans), as well as some spiders and snakes (on the night hike in Monteverde), caymans, and crocodiles (from a bridge...) and probably others I can't remember right now.

It really is an ideal country for a first trip solo. As for the rainforest, you're not technically 'in the rainforest' all of the time - you'll be staying in a hotel in town and going out for dinner/eating in local restaurants in 'civilization'. You'll go on a few hikes/walks into the actual rainforest/canopy, but you'll have a guide with your and/or be walking on marked trails and paths...so it's not like being on "Naked and Afraid" or anything like that!!

The only thing I would *warn* you about is to be a little cautious in the capital San Jose. It's safe to go out to the downtown and walk around during the day, just be aware of your surroundings and don't carry a lot of money...there have been reports of muggings and pickpocketing of tourists - especially if you make yourself standout in anyway. At night, you'll almost always be with your group and/or CEO at all times so it's not as much of an issue. Also, be sure to grab a business card or something with your hotel's name/address/phone number in case you decide to take a taxi anywhere. All that being said, I didn't experience any problems at all when I was there and you'll find the people to be very friendly and welcoming...I would go back to Costa Rica in a heartbeat!!
andrea2121
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby g_traveller_1943680f » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks so much for your reply and sorry mine is so late! I haven't been on here for a while. I think this definitely sounds like the trip for me! Looking forward to booking my place at some point over the next couple of weeks :)

Thanks for the tips about San Jose too. I've also heard it's best to be cautious but I guess that's the same as most big cities.

Can't wait to experience the country for myself. :)

Lucy x
g_traveller_1943680f

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean