Mayan Adventure - some tips before you go

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Mayan Adventure - some tips before you go

Postby cqtravelling » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:30 pm

I have just completed the Mayan Adventure Trip which was my 4th trip with G Adventures. As usual the guide was superb and the itinerary was just the right mix of history, culture, adventure and free time.

I thought I would pass on a few tips:

Water shoes - pack some water shoes. There are lots of opportunities for swimming in cenotes, scrambling through caves and cave tubing. Most places will rent shoes but I wished I had packed a pair.

Bathers/swimmers - take a couple of pairs. Due to the humidity they take a while to dry. Nothing worse than putting on wet bathers.

Rashie/long sleeve swim shirt - pack one as it is almost essential for when you go snorkelling in Caye Caulker. Lots of people in our group got quite sunburnt, despite the liberal application of sunscreen.

Umberella - I found that an umberella gave better sun protection than a hat when visiting the various Mayan ruins.

Shorts/singlets/t-shirts - I lived in mine for three weeks and wished I had packed more instead of taking skirts and dresses, although having a nice dress to go out for dinner was a welcome change.

ATM - they are everywhere but do not always expect them to accept your particular card. A German girl and a Canadian girl in our group had difficulties accessing cash via the ATM. My advice; if you find one that works take out the maximum amount that you can. If you end up with too much of a particular currency you can always give it to your guide as part of the tip at the end of the trip.

Homestay - having some Spanish will really make the difference to your homestay experience. A few greetings and being able to talk about what you do and your family will help break the ice. I had also moved some of my photos of my family, home and pets into a new album on my IPhone. The homestay family seemed to enjoy looking at them.

Shopping - For all the Australian girls out there, cosmetics and skin products are sooo much cheaper in Mexico than what we pay for them in Australia. The lipstick brand that I use in Australia costs me $22, I could purchase the exact same one in Mexico for $11. I stocked up on some of my favourite brands.
cqtravelling
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Mayan Adventure - some tips before you go

Postby g_traveller_208892 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Headed on this trip next week. Thanks for the tips!
g_traveller_208892

Postby meredithgies » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Thank you going July 16th, very helpful information. :)
meredithgies
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby g_traveller_f2e95726 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:14 am

Thanks for the tips, going there in August. :wink:
g_traveller_f2e95726

Postby g_traveller_67c71c9b » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Hey

Two vital questions for me:
What do you recommend, suitcase or bagpack?
And what about moskitos?

Thanks a lot for answering.
g_traveller_67c71c9b

Postby christina_sm_ho722@@ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks a lot for the useful tips! I am going in Mid Oct. :)
christina_sm_ho722@@

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean