Mayan Sun Northbound budget

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Mayan Sun Northbound budget

Postby g_traveller_59bcb7e8 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi all,

Preparing to leave for a Mayan Sun northbound trip in the next few days. I was wondering about budget - how much USD should I bring with and where do you convert when you get there to the local currencies? Also since its local currencies with three different countries - does anyone know how that works - do you convert more USD in every country to their currency (i.e. quetzal -> peso), or what if you still have leftover quetzal? Sorry i'm very curious :D
g_traveller_59bcb7e8
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Mayan Sun Northbound budget

Postby Janice08 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 pm

I prefer to get most of my money from ATMs, leaving my US cash for emergencies (except in Belize where its accepted everywhere at a fixed exchange rate). When you get near the end of a stay in one country, try not to have extra currency for that country. Anything you do have you can trade at the border. Your CEO (tour leader) will know which side gives better rates. The less you have to exchange currencies, the more you will have because you loose out every time (exchange fees of usually about 3% plus handling fees).
Janice08
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean