Volunteering opportunies that cover expenses?

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun, richardGS

Volunteering opportunies that cover expenses?

Postby theactor19 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Are there any volunteering opportunities that cover all expenses for you to come work there? Like they cover your flight and stay. I ask because it can be quite costly to go somewhere to voluneer.
Check out my Thailand Backpacking blog for tips and advice - http://www.gobackpackingthailand.com
theactor19
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Volunteering opportunies that cover expenses?

Postby Janice08 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:54 pm

I can't help you with any specifics but can give you something to think about. The reason that most organizations charge for volunteering is that it costs them something to have you around. They need to feed you, give you a place to sleep and organize something to keep you busy - and that often involves someone whose only job is to supervise the volunteers. And, if the project is one that takes people without skills, they probably have to pay someone else to redo a lot of what the volunteers did.

I have heard from several reliable sources that the main benefits of volunteers are cultural awareness/exchange and the money that the volunteer contributes to the project.

Think about it. Your plane fare to a foreign country (say $1000 for example) is enough in a lot of the developing world to pay a local to work full time for up to 5 months (or more). Unless you have an extended time, and/or specialized skills that are needed, one of the best ways to help out in the developing word is to be a tourist and spend your money in ways that benefit the local population.

If you really believe that you have a specific skill that would be useful in another part of the world but can't afford to get there, after researching opportunities, approach service clubs or churches and see if they could help sponsor you. Or, get a second part time job and put 100% of that paycheque towards your travel fund.
Janice08
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:10 pm

I would add that not only do they need to charge to cover expenses of housing and feeding and caring for you during the trip, they need to weed out any potential freeloaders who wouldn't really do any volunteer work.

If you're in the US and really want to do volunteer work internationally but can't afford the travel expenses, check out the Peace Corps or some of the faith-based missions.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby theactor19 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:45 pm

Interesting.. good to know thanks. Its just hard to pay for it when you are travelling long term
Check out my Thailand Backpacking blog for tips and advice - http://www.gobackpackingthailand.com
theactor19

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:08 am

I understand that but it's even tougher to pay for it when you're a Third World country or a non-profit operating in said Third World country. I only know of one country that pays for foreigners to come visit: the U.S.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby phelan.edward2 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:15 am

I think in this day and age travelling is such a popular pastime that there's never going to be a shortage of people willing to pay for volunteering experiences so for as long as that's the case organisations aren't going to pay for them.

Found some banging volunteer opps here if you're interested: http://www.smallerearth.com/uk/volunteer-abroad/

And some of these seem very reasonable
phelan.edward2
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel