gay travellers

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

gay travellers

Postby g_traveller_f8d0ebd9 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi ..are gay travellers welcome to join these trips and will they feel included?
g_traveller_f8d0ebd9
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: gay travellers

Postby Graybeard » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:40 pm

As I am not any sort of official G person, just a past customer, I can not address any kind of policy. But, I can tell you that on at least one of my trips there was a gay, or more specifically, a lesbian, couple along. They were fun folks and I did not observe any off-putting behavior towards them by any of the other people on the trip. Yes, they were openly out, but just handled themselves the way any other mature couple would. They had been together a number of years but had only recently gotten married. (Yea!)

It's a good question you ask. I will be interesting to see what other kinds of responses you receive.
Graybeard
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Janice08 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:01 pm

On one of my trips there was a gay couple. On the first night they introduced themselves as partners and that was the end of it. They also were a mature couple and although they didn´t hide that they were gay in public they didn´t flaunt it either. They fit in well with the rest of the group. I wondered at first if it would be an issue as the majority of the group was older (50 plus) but it wasn´t.
Janice08

Postby markmol » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:11 am

hi, on one of my trips to Africa my tent mate was gay & he told me on the first night. Not a problem with me or anyone else on the trip.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:46 am

.double post.
Last edited by kcupp95 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
kcupp95

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:49 am

Why do you worry that you wouldn't feel included or welcome?

Apart from being aware of any local customs/laws regarding homosexuality (depending on what countries you were visiting), I'm not sure why it would be an issue?

General rule would be don't be inappropriate or make unwanted/unwelcome advances on someone - however that rule applies to all travelers whether gay, straight, bi, trans etc.
kcupp95

Postby going-solo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:02 am

I can't see it being any problem at all! :)

going-solo
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby TravelFun » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:16 am

I understand your point but sexuality should never be a concern or reason to travel or not...you just need the passion to travel. I have met many gays on my travels and many have become really good friends. As mentioned earlier, just be aware of the local customs and laws of the countries you visit.

Just go for it...happy travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby aussie_darren » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 pm

There are intolerant people everywhere in the world and that's unfortunate.

I guess there's a chance you could encounter one on your trip although I suspect it's unlikely.

I'm a straight guy and would have no problem travelling with anyone based on their sexuality.

I have gay and lesbian friends and this September 12 of us went on a 4 day houseboat trip. I was one of 4 straight people travelling with 8 gays/lesbians. It was a trip full of laughs and great times :-)
aussie_darren
User Rank: Weekender

Postby xav1969 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:43 am

I've traveled on quite a few GAdv trips with my partner and have never felt un-welcomed or not included by other travelers or CEOs. Often, we've found we are not the only gay people on a trip. In general, people who choose the style of trips that GAdv offers tend to be more open and accepting. However, depending on the country visiting you need to be aware of local attitudes towards homosexuality. Lonely Planet does a great job calling this information out in their guidebooks. Some people may argue you should never hide who you are, but the reality of travel is that there are still a great number of locations in the world that do not embrace or tolerate homosexuality. Discretion is key in those circumstances. Additionally, we've found some hotels won't provide a room with a shared bed for two men, and instead provide two beds. In those cases we don't bother to argue. And, there are some countries with such a vehement attitude towards gay people (e.g. Uganda, Russia, Uzbekistan, etc.) we make a personal choice not to travel there even though GAdv offers trips to those destinations.
xav1969

Postby g_traveller_ff7c932b » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:46 pm

g_traveller_f8d0ebd9 wrote:Hi ..are gay travellers welcome to join these trips and will they feel included?

Sorry for the OT just can't help it. We have almost the same user name and I thought the admin called my attention. Welcome by the way.
g_traveller_ff7c932b

Return to Off-topic