What kind of camera do you use?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

What kind of camera do you use?

Postby theactor19 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:16 pm

Curious what cameras you guys use to document your trips?
Check out my Thailand Backpacking blog for tips and advice - http://www.gobackpackingthailand.com
theactor19
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: What kind of camera do you use?

Postby kcupp95 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:10 pm

I use a Pentax dslr with a couple of lenses and my iPhone.

I found the iPhone easiest for quick snaps and when asking people to take photos of me.
kcupp95
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby markmol » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:54 pm

It make little difference what camera you have, find out how to use all the settings. I have seen people with thousands of dollars of gear & they are using them on auto.
I use a Canon 5D MK111, when I travel I use a Tamron 18-270 lens & take a Canon 10-22 for Landscapes. I also take a point & shoot & have taken some great photos with that.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:19 pm

I normally use a Canon T2i with the Tamron 18-270 as my primary all-purpose lens. I take the Canon 100-400 L-series zoom when I'm expecting long distance wildlife shots but it's a heavy (and expensive!) lens to carry around "just in case". I also have the f/1.4 35mm lens which I love for low light shots like starfields at night. I have the Canon 10-22 like markmol but haven't really used it much -- I generally find I don't like the aspect distortions at 10 mm and would rather take a series of pictures at 18 or 35mm and splice them together.

I picked up the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 last year after seeing a couple using theirs in Australia. It's a great little point-and-shoot with fantastic zoom capability and did well for me in India. In fact, I'm thinking about leaving the DSLR behind and using only this camera for my upcoming trip to Indonesia.

The camera on my Galaxy S4 is a backstop "just in case" -- it performs well in well-lit conditions when I'm close to the subject or don't want to zoom in on anything.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby theactor19 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:38 pm

iPhone 5.. takes incredible pictures especially for the size.
Check out my Thailand Backpacking blog for tips and advice - http://www.gobackpackingthailand.com
theactor19

Postby g_traveller_e6f3249f » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:59 am

I use a Canon EOS 70D. Takes beautiful pictures. So worth taking a really good camera with you so you can cherish the pictures forever.
g_traveller_e6f3249f
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby brad.fraser » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:45 am

I use a Canon 600D with a Sigma 18-300mm lens. A great beginner camera with such a versatile lens. However as my photography gets better and is becoming a more than simply a way to capture memories from my trips I want a little more from my photos, and as such I'm looking at upgrading to a Nikon D750.
brad.fraser

Postby g_traveller_74bdcd09 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:38 am

I am using Polaroid Z2300 for instant pictures. The only little problen I have found with this camera is that if you hang it around your neck it's possible to open the door and lose all the film onto the ground. Despite this, it's awesome!
Last edited by TravelFun on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No advertising via links to external sites.
g_traveller_74bdcd09

Postby kateyb » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:07 am

I love taking photos so I bring lots lol. I have a Nikon 5100 with an 18-200 lens. If I am going somewhere with big landscapes I bring my wide angle as well. I also bring a Panasonic Lumix ZS60, my iPhone 7 and I recently brought along a Fuji instamax camera. I brought the Fuji to my trip in East Africa and would take pictures of kids and other villagers and give them the photo. It was a huge success that attracted big crowds. When the picture developed they were so excited and it was great to share that experience with them. I would highly suggest doing that when going to developing countries as it was a great way to meet the locals.
kateyb

Postby bigtripbrad » Tue May 02, 2017 1:10 am

Bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 for my trip to Tanzania and Kenya last December. Was VERY pleased with the results. Everyone says they look like they were lifted from Nat Geo magazine.
bigtripbrad
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby g_traveller_ff7c932b » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:22 pm

I use EO5 and my iPhone on a regular basis.
g_traveller_ff7c932b

Return to Off-topic