Advice on which lens to bring

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Advice on which lens to bring

Postby tish_20 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:18 am

Hi! I have a Nikon D3100 and have two options for lenses. I am borrowing a lens from a friend so can only pick 1. I am not skilled.

Nikon AF Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens

or

Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S Wide Angle-Telephoto Zoom-Nikkor Lens

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
tish_20
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Advice on which lens to bring

Postby Collette » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:22 am

That's a tough question! They are such different lenses. I am by no means an expert, and I don't shoot Nikon. But I did a quick look at the specs for both, and I would choose the 80-200. The reason why is that I'll bet you can get your hands on a small pocket camera to compliment this big dslr, or even use your cell phone for the closer range shots (cell phone cameras are getting pretty impressive results).

The 80-200 has a minimum auto focus of 4.9 feet, and you won't get that close to wildlife (or shouldn't), so you'll be perfectly fine there. Knowing that, you'll want the longest zoom for your distance shots (whales, leopard seals etc).

Although I have no experience with Nikons, I do have experience with damaged lenses due to salt water splash. I've had to throw away 2 lenses for the same reason (you'd think I'd learn after the first). So I now own a system that is weather sealed (including the lenses), and I am bringing a rain sleeve for the zodiac. I would strongly recommend that which ever lens you choose, you bring a lens filter to protect the glass and the rain sleeve I mentioned.

I hope you get a more expert response as mine is a novice's opinion. But I hope it was useful. Which trip will you be on? I'm going on Spirit of Shackleton in January - too excited for words!

Collette
Collette
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby tish_20 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Collette, thanks for the reply!

I will be on the 12/12/17 trip :)

I am soooooo excited!
tish_20

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:03 pm

What do you want to photograph?

For the ocean scenery, icebergs, and close-in wildlife like penguins and seals, you'll want the 28-80. If you want to photograph any of the other birds, you really need the 80-200 and maybe even more. On my voyage, I think the single most popular lens I saw was Canon's 100-400 zoom. I think I saw at least 20 of those lenses on board -- not bad considering we only had a little over 100 passengers.

I advise you bring a microfiber cloth to clean the lenses as you may occasionally get condensation as you move from the heated environment onboard ship to colder conditions on shore. I forgot my rain sleeve but wished I'd had it a couple of times. Otherwise, I carried the camera slung around my neck but tucked into my parka so I had instant access when I wanted it but it was protected from splashes while on the Zodiac.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic