Camera Equipment

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Camera Equipment

Postby gentoo40 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi
I will be on the 19 December 2015 cruise to the Antarctic Peninsula and then taking a few days to explore Easter Island.
I am just about to go shopping for extra camera equipment and would like to know what is thought to be essential, what would be nice to have and what isn't really needed!
I've got a Canon 550d with only the standard lens at present. Looking to get a new lens that covers all distances - currently considering a Tamron 16-300mm or a Sigma 18-250mm.
Am thinking batteries, weather protection, cases/bags, filters, memory cards....................
Any suggestions/guidance/advice gratefully received :)
Thanks
Karen
gentoo40
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Camera Equipment

Postby markmol » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi Karen,
I used a canon 60D with a Tamron 18-270mm lens & got some great photos. So I imagine the 16-300mm will be fine. I took 2 extra batteries (I kept them in my pockets to keep them warm) & I had several SD Cards as I shoot all my photos in Raw which takes up more space. I also took a small laptop & a external hard drive & backed my photos everyday. I used a lowpro backpack for the Zodiac rides, but to be honest I kept my camera on my lap & under my jacket most of the time as there is always a chance for a photo. I also had a cleaning cloth on me at all times to clean the lens.
Attachments
ANT%20031.JPG
ANT%20031.JPG (47.05 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:41 am

I took the Tamron 18-270 and Canon 100-400. I got some amazing shots with the 100-400 and it was quite a popular lens but the 18-270 was the one I used the most. Most of the time, you will be too close to the penguins and seals to use the 100-400 for its best advantage.

I used a holster-style camera bag but kept the camera slung around my neck and tucked under my Goretex parka for the Zodiac rides like markmol. Also like him, I backed up my photos daily to a small notebook computer and USB hard drive but take twice as much memory as you think you need. I also carried 3 camera batteries with me -- sometimes you may need to warm one up against your skin before swapping.

As markmol suggests, keep at least one lens cleaning cloth handy. You'll need it. A Rainsleeve would be a good idea too. About the only filter I used (and only rarely) was a circular polarizer.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby PaulTeolis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:41 pm

hi karen,
I will be on board that sailing as your Expedition Photographer so point yourself out when we are all aboard.

you can read this article that I wrote for G which covers basic tips.
https://www.gadventures.com/blog/take-y ... ar-photos/

I have found in Antarctica you want a good wide angle lens as well as something up to 300mm
which is ample in some instances considering we get fairly close to penguins, but for birds in flight its ideal.

Get a range that works in your budget and a lens that is not too slow. Both the sigma and tamron
lengths are a good range.

Get a UV filter for protection more than anything. A polarizer is great on sunny days as well but you will be fine without one. Highly recommend a good camera bag or dry bag to keep the elements from affecting your gear.

If you need anything more don't hesitate to email me too --> paul@fieldandscreen.com

cheers
p~
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures onboard the M/S Expedition
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis

Postby gentoo40 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks for all the advice.
I got a new-out Sigma 18-300mm lens along with UV filter, spare battery and SD cards. Also got polarising filter as it was 75% off!!! Couple of things left to get but now I need to get practising with this lens :-)
gentoo40

Postby drewbie123 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

Hi Paul,

I have a Canon Sl1 with a standar 18-55mm lens, a 75mm-300mm lens, and a 40mm lens. I have a UV and polarized filter lens, would you suggest any other lens?

I am thinking of bringing my tripod with me for the Camping and want to get some night shots if possible I have an external flash and the remote flash as well.

I will be on the Antarctica Classic in Depth December 4-December 21.

Thanks any help is appreciated
drewbie123
User Rank: Weekender

Postby PaulTeolis » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:07 pm

hi drewbie123,

well firstly night shots won't exist as there is light all the time, it will dim at night, but not by
much, no stars or anything of the likes.

so no need really for a flash of any kind. I use one inside shooting passengers, but nothing outside.
A tripod will help with steadiness of exposures when camping…so I would recommend that.
Bring a dry bag and some zip lock bags as well plus 3 batteries for your camera. You might find with camping the cold will drain them faster, so make sure you are prepared

You will be fine with your lens choice as well.

enjoy the trip, I join the ship right after your departure.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures onboard the M/S Expedition
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis

Postby drewbie123 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for the advice, I do have three Batteries, I figured about the light, or rather lack of night sky, as we get that up here in Canada too, just wanted to check.

Is there a photographer on board with us?
drewbie123

Postby melb_guy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm going to Antarctica in a few weeks.

I was going to take my GoPro (not sure it's needed), maybe a TG5 for zodiacs, if I do rafting ect.

For my main camera an OMD EM5 MKII. It's weather proof and should be a good choice.

Lenses is my concern.

I was going to take a 40-150mm (generally used with a 1.4x teleconverter) and a 12-40mm.

I don't know whether I should get another lense, a better all rounder or how the conditions will be for changing lenses as needs change.
melb_guy
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic