layering for Antarctica

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

layering for Antarctica

Postby margaret46 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:12 am

I've seen a couple of posts that say "don't wear jeans" in antarctica. I've got the warm long-johns and the waterproof rain-pants. But what should I put between them. I own jeans, khakis, and polyester pants???
margaret46
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: layering for Antarctica

Postby louicoo82 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:07 am

you are going to love this trip!! i went in dec 16. im someone who is always cold and had no problems on the boat. the rooms and inside general areas are all well heated so you can wear jeans or long pants on their own. keep in mind that if someone spots a whale or something exciting and you want to head outside you may want to consider adding some more layers
on the zodiac trips i wore thermal tights under my normal weight zip-legg hiking pants (i had come from treking inca) and waterproof ski pants over the top. tucked my bottom 2 layers into the boots and kept my ski pants over the boots. i dont recall anyone wearing waterproof rain pants (all were either ski or snowboard pants) but i could be mistaken. i wore 1 pair of thick wool socks but i did find that the longer you spent walking in deep snow the damper my feet would feel. my pants had elastic at the bottom which stopped most of the water getting in. really the only time you get the boots wet is coming and going from the boat when you have to clean them in the solution and if the boat doesnt quite make it onto shore at the landing. the guides also had boxes/steps in the zodiac to help us short people get on and off :)
we had really really really calm seas the whole time (yay!) so its possible that you might get a little wetter if its rough
enjoy!
louicoo82

Postby burghgirl72 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:37 pm

I took lined and lightweight hiking pants because they were easier to wash during the trip with thermal layers underneath. I typically wore a base layer, hiking pants with my waterproof snow pants over and was quite comfortable. On top I wore a base layer and a fleece under my parka and that was all I needed. Thick wool socks are great for the landings as well. I took an extra pair in my backpack in case my feet got cold hiking through snow.

Some people did wear jeans but I noticed it more just hanging around on the ship rather than on our landings.
burghgirl72

Postby g_traveller_d1e69102 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:37 pm

I took waterproof rain pants and wore two layers of leggings under them most days, though added a pair of fleece pants when it was colder. On top, a baselayer, fleece jacket, and provided parka were plenty warm. Top with a hat, gloves and thick wool socks over a lighter pair of wool liner socks. I stashed a neck gaiter in my bag just in case but I think I used it maybe twice.
g_traveller_d1e69102

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun May 28, 2017 6:38 pm

The advice of not wearing jeans is generally good but it's based on the lack of insulation and tendency to absorb moisture. That really isn't a problem if you're wearing good thermals and an overpant but it's still a good idea to not wear cotton if you can avoid it.

In my case, I wore polypropylene thermals and cargo pants (yes, I know, cotton!) which were tucked inside my Wellingtons and then ski pants which went over the Wellingtons. The way I wore them, my pants were essentially a middle insulation layer. Not a lot of insulation but I didn't really need a lot with what I had. There was no opportunity for my pants to get wet and while they could and did get some of my perspiration, the only thing directly against my skin were the polypropylene thermals.

On top, I had a microfiber (synthetic) t-shirt, long sleeve overshirt, and Goretex parka with liner. If I needed it, I also had a wool sweater along but I only wore that a couple of times -- the layers I had were generally enough that I even had to open the parka up a little to let out some body heat.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Praha335Ci » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:34 am

I'm taking this trip in March of 2018 and this thread certainly has lots of really good information.
Any other tips to be shared to this internet community?
Thanks in advance.
Praha335Ci
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby g_traveller_d1e69102 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Praha335Ci wrote:I'm taking this trip in March of 2018 and this thread certainly has lots of really good information.
Any other tips to be shared to this internet community?
Thanks in advance.

Best tip I can think of: take a power strip with you. Your cabin will only have two outlets and between you and your roommate, you're likely to have more battery chargers, etc. than that.
g_traveller_d1e69102

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic