Travel Insurance for Antarctica Trip

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Travel Insurance for Antarctica Trip

Postby g_traveller_14aaabca » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 am

This may have been asked many times before, but I cannot see any recent posts which cover my question.
We have booked The Spirit of Shackleton trip in January 2019 & I am trying to find a travel insurance which will give good cover & also cover for cancellation. As the trip will cost more than the usual cover of £10,000.00, can anyone recommend a company which will cover more than this sum?

Thanks for any help
g_traveller_14aaabca
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Travel Insurance for Antarctica Trip

Postby TravelFun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 am

I'm with Insure And Go and they provide good cover... do check them out and see if it suits you. Another option is to call G directly and compare their offer.
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby g_traveller_14aaabca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:14 am

Thank you - I will look into both. As I booked the trip through Trailfinders, for some reason G Adventures cannot give me an insurance quote without permission from Trailfinders, so I am sorting this out.
Thanks again
g_traveller_14aaabca

Postby Collette » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm not sure if you purchased your insurance yet, or when you're leaving. My trip is january 2018, and I purchased my insurance with World Nomads. They have great coverage, and prices are very reasonable. I've never made a claim with them in the past, but I hear very good things. Hope that helps!
Collette
User Rank: Nomad

Postby brownbrian » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 pm

I also went with world nomads for the antarctic trip I took last year. Seemed fine and was not too expensive.
Brian B
Brampton ON Canada

brianbechan@hotmail.com
brownbrian
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Collette » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 am

After doing further research, I wrote this post on free credit card travel insurance. I was pleasantly surprised at the coverage. However the policies I looked at were only 15 days, so you'd have to call and extend the time for a price. As for trip cancellation, good luck finding a policy that will return the whole cost for Spirit of Shackleton - when I enquired, the price for full cancellation was in the thousands of dollars.
Collette

Postby Janice08 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 am

Collette wrote:After doing further research, I wrote this post on free credit card travel insurance. I was pleasantly surprised at the coverage. However the policies I looked at were only 15 days, so you'd have to call and extend the time for a price. As for trip cancellation, good luck finding a policy that will return the whole cost for Spirit of Shackleton - when I enquired, the price for full cancellation was in the thousands of dollars.

I've also found that the included insurance on premium credit cards is good in Canada. However, for all of you unfortunate people out there that aren't Canadians, I've heard that the coverage may not be as great for cards in other parts of the world and may not meet the minimum requirements for G Adventures. I also have medical travel insurance through work and its a very good policy so I don't have to depend on the 15 day limitation on my credit card.
Janice08
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic