Departure lounge seems to be a failing way to connect

Post your opinions and suggestions to help improve our website and discussion forum.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Departure lounge seems to be a failing way to connect

Postby christielein » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:57 am

The watering hole does not seem to work well... I went there and looked thru some... There was hardly any replies to travellers who posted on it.
I've been on tours before and they all had really excellent ways to communicate. A lot were right through the companies app.
Just a thought, if the departure post on the watering hole is the only way... Maybe it should be on the list for gAdventures to take a look at.
christielein
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Departure lounge seems to be a failing way to connect

Postby movieaddict_traveller » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:04 pm

I think that most people booked their our via a travel agency and not directly with Gadventures and then they are not aware of such forum. I’ve travelled several time with G and only for my last trip I’ve managed to talk with one person before the tour!
Maybe people do not actually care to know beforehand with who they travel and the surprise is part of the fun 😁
Anyway I always got along very well with my fellow travelers and this right after the welcome meeting and first dinner so even if it’s nice to talk with someone before the tour starts I’m not obsess with this forum (but the check every few days once I’ve booked a new trip!).

Cheers
Julia
ImageImage
movieaddict_traveller
User Rank: Nomad

Postby christielein » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Just pointing out something they can improve on a little;)
christielein

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:46 pm

In my experience, only about 10% of G travelers use the Departure Lounge. The big problem G has is that the travel agents often don't tell their clients that G HAS a forum. I've suggested G send automatic emails once people have booked their trips with links to the Departure Lounge and the specific area associated with their tour but that doesn't seem to have happened; perhaps there were privacy or spam issues associated with that approach.

A secondary problem is with the increasing segmentation of the tours. For instance, the tour I signed up for (and created a Departure Lounge thread for) started in Chiang Mai on the 11th, returned to Chiang Mai on the 14th, and departs for Bangkok via Chiang Rai/Lampang/Sukhothai tomorrow (16th). Some people started the tour earlier (so from their perspective, I joined THEIR tour to go to the northern hills) and finished in Chiang Mai yesterday. Some people only did the 4 night segment that took us into the hills and then departed today. Some people joined us here in Chiang Mai today (well, really yesterday since they all seemed to have arrived a day early) and are continuing on past Bangkok. None of these groups of people would have recognized my thread in the Departure Lounge as related to their specific trip.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby movieaddict_traveller » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 pm

I agree with you! Big Combo tours make it difficult.
For my last trip I've posted several messages for each of the parts for my big combo tour and I only manage to be in contact with 1 person ...
ImageImage
movieaddict_traveller

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Well ... a couple more data points here. At least one traveler on my current tour who booked directly with G and knew nothing about the Watering Hole, muchless the Departure Lounge. He said no one told him about it. Another traveler who has used G for 5 years never posted, didn't appear to know what I was talking about.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby movieaddict_traveller » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:25 am

I guess some people do not care to know beforehand who will be on the same tour which I can understand!
It is also fun to just meet everyone during the welcoming meeting!
ImageImage
movieaddict_traveller

Return to Website and Forum Feedback