Continuing observations of the G Adventures app

Post your opinions and suggestions to help improve our website and discussion forum.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Continuing observations of the G Adventures app

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:05 am

Just noting things I've observed with the G Adventures app.

To start, I first started using the app on my trip to New Zealand last fall. I found it was quite useful and loved the map feature although it was not clear to me that the maps were actually stored off-line as it seemed I couldn't access them without a data connection. My device at the time was a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active using a SIM card and plan bought at the Auckland airport.

One of the original annoyances I had was the add-ons listing was not arranged chronologically. Options for Day 11 appeared before Day 2 and Day 1 or pre-tour options didn't show up at all even though I was able to call in and manually add the Sailing on America's Cup Challenge.

Some people on the forums had said the app provided contact info for your tour CEO. It did not do that for me for my New Zealand trip (and still doesn't on either phone or iPad).

I will be using the app on my upcoming tour, Northern Thailand Sampler, on my Galaxy S8+ and iPad Pro.

As far as my original annoyance above is concerned, that still holds true. My Pre-Tour options appear first but then Day 5 options are followed by Day 1 followed by Day 8.

The Northern Thailand tour showed up on my Galaxy S8+ about a day after I made the reservation. The New Zealand trip still shows by the way even though it's in the past. A few days later, the only trip I could see on my iPad was the long past New Zealand trip. I sent a question into G about this and in the interim decided to log out and log back in on the iPad. Lo and behold, the Thailand trip is now showing!

Interestingly, the app on my phone shows tour dates of Nov 11-23, presumably because I booked an extra night at the ending hotel, but the app on my iPad shows tour dates of Nov 11-22. When I try to use off-line maps on the phone, it shows it downloading but I can't pull the map up on the phone. When I use off-line maps on the iPad, they open up and are gorgeous -- haven't tried to drop the data connection on the iPad to see if they are truly off-line.

I just updated Good to Go (G's online checker to make sure you have everything filed ahead of time) with the last remaining info it needed, my travel insurance policy. Your vouchers are locked until Good to Go says you're good to go (interestingly, the voucher for my New Zealand trip last fall is also locked!). The website shows I'm 100% Good to Go but the G Adventures app still says I'm 87% (on my phone -- on the iPad it says 75%). I presume this is the usual latency with computerized records on different servers and should be cleared up tomorrow. Clicking on the 87% Good to Go icon takes me to their webpage which shows me 100%.

The lodging listed in the itinerary gives you a name and clicking on that gives you an address and sometimes a phone number or email address. This is more information than they have in the trip details on the website and is useful in compiling a detailed itinerary for family and friends (or coworkers).

I noted for my agent at G that neither the app nor the Detailed Itinerary on the website show the lodging on this trip for the 2 nights in Sukhothai. While G may sometimes change hotels due to emergencies or even quality control, they usually cover themselves on the website by adding "(or similar)" after the lodging cited. My agent is getting the info for me from the Bangkok office (thank you Katrina!) but it would be better if the website and app were complete.

I noted for Levi, our CEO in New Zealand, that it would be awfully nice if the CEOs wrote the descriptions of each day. He had a ton of information about each stop and each day that would have been nice to know ahead of time and really, who knows the tour better than the CEOs? Of course, there's a big difference between conveying information verbally and putting it in print and I can understand that the company might not want certain information or advice put down in writing but they can always have a lawyer go over the CEO write-ups and remove anything inappropriate or request edits.

I'll update this as I see updates or changes to the app.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Continuing observations of the G Adventures app

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:27 am

Update:
The 75% Good to Go button on my iPad has been replaced with a Vouchers button. The cell phone still shows 87% Good to Go.

When I click on the Vouchers button on my iPad, I show my past New Zealand trip is 50% Good to Go (?) but I can see my vouchers for the Thailand trip.

I don't know of any way to force a refresh of the data other than to log off and log back on.
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Website and Forum Feedback