china : technology and customs

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

china : technology and customs

Postby g_traveller_8e31e2f7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:03 am

Hey, Ive recently booked the essential-china trip in apr.22nd (am in the process of)
and I had a couple of questions regarding my technology, mainly my phone.

I know china has some restrictions with their internet usage in general, and I was wondering if bringing my phone into china would pose any troubles at the chinese customs, I.e. would they want to inspect it or anything (like by having me unlock it and them going thought my data)? I obviously dont plan on doing anything ,(nor have anything) inferious on my phone, im simply always careful about my privacy

My reasons for thinking this is that i've heard similar situations of that happening in the US
so I thought that it wouldn't be surprising being that china would do something similar.

thanks for hearing my out and looking forward to the trip! :D :D :D :D

P.s. any other tips on this kinda thing or technology in general would be great and very helpful thanks!
g_traveller_8e31e2f7
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: china : technology and customs

Postby sprinter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:05 pm

When travel internationally I leave my phone at home. I bring an iPad in case I need to access the internet. When I went to China I had an iTouch. It was never a problem. Back in 2008 anyways the only thing I could access was an email account. When I went to most of the website I like they were blocked or I got directed to a Chinese version example Facebook.

When visiting a number of sites our bags were put through scanners but I don't remember them ever being hand searched. We were pretty sure in most cases the scanning was for show and that the scanning equipment did not even work.
sprinter
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby kath196 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:47 pm

You might wish to download a VPN for use in China if you want to use Facebook etc.
Have a great trip !
K
kath196
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby g_traveller_8db559cb » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 pm

I've been to China many times. They won't check your phone, you just won't be able to access some sites such as Facebook or Google, including app versions of these.

You can access them in Hong King or via a VPN if you need to, or just enjoy a break from it!

Have the best time, it's a wonderful country!
g_traveller_8db559cb

Postby g_traveller_8e31e2f7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:53 am

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated
I feel ill probably bring an old phone along just in case but its good to know it wont be
something to worry about thanks!

ill probably post more questions about china when I get them. :D
g_traveller_8e31e2f7

Postby g_traveller_5c57b661 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:08 pm

I just returned from 3 weeks in China and had no problems using my iPhone with a VPN to access Facebook, Instagram.....etc
g_traveller_5c57b661

Return to Asia