Water Filter LifeStraw for SEA?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Water Filter LifeStraw for SEA?

Postby g_traveller_c0bbe52e » Mon May 08, 2017 1:54 am

Hello fellow travellers.

First off, I need to start with how happy I am to be a part of this forum and that I am looking forward to speaking with you all and hopefully finding answers to my problems.

As I already wrote in my introductory post, I will head to SEA very soon. So far everything is pretty smooth. All my preparations are nearly done.

I also want to to some volunteer work, mostly in rural areas. But I still have a small problem. I have heard sometimes (good) drinking it can be quite an issue, especially in the countryside. And sometimes there are not proper stores or shops. So I was thinking about alternatives if I really can't buy any drinking water.

The first thing that came to my mind was water purifying tablets. You can get them really easily and also the handling is more then easy. Another option are water filters. That's why last weekend I did some research and checked out some websites classified adds as well as well known trusted shopping sites like http://www.for-sale.co.uk/water-filters. I was looking for a product called “LifeStraw” but I didn't find it.

Anyway. My question is, does anybody here own on of these water filters? And are they really that capable? And what about the cleaning?

So I don't know so much about it, so therefore any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Colby.
Last edited by g_traveller_c0bbe52e on Thu May 11, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
g_traveller_c0bbe52e
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Water Filter LifeStraw for SEA?

Postby kateyb » Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 am

I use a steripen for my travels and love it. Never had any issues with it, just make sure to bring extra batteries. There was no cleaning involved, you just dip it in your bottle and stir until the light goes off. You would be surprised to find bottled water in even the smallest of towns, but it was so handy to have the steripen.
kateyb
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby g_traveller_bc1c4f2b » Fri May 19, 2017 4:38 am

I'm heading to North Thailand next months and I'm planning to bring my stainless steel reusable bottle. I've been recommended this water filter https://sawyer.com/ by a lady who's been to the same areas I'm heading too. She swore by it. There are information and videos to explain the product (how to use it and clean it).

I've bought one, but I haven't tried it yet. I'd better do it before my departure :lol:
g_traveller_bc1c4f2b

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 pm

I have the Sawyer mini filter as part of my regular survival gear. It's small and lightweight. Better, it's more adaptable than the lifestraw and filters things out dependably -- the steripen only kills what's in the water, it doesn't clean it out (which means it does utterly nothing about chemical contaminants). You also have no visible indication of success so you just need to be sure you time it properly -- with the Sawyer, anything bigger than 0.1 microns is filtered out, period-end-of-story.

The Sawyer mini kit has inline adapters and you can get another kit with a faucet adapter so you can cleanse water as you run it into your water bottle or bladder. If you prefer, you can use a bladder like the Camelbak and splice the filter inline with the drinking hose (which means you can just fill the bladder directly from faucet or stream.

No matter which solution you use, always be careful of cross-contamination: make sure your "clean" water source isn't "washed" by potentially dirty water, don't take ice in your drink (you never know about the water going into the ice maker), etc.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Praha335Ci » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:03 am

Its best to actually boil the water and wait for it to cool down in SE Asia. That is the normal method for all people living in cities and also in the countryside. This will guarantee that it is 100% sterile.
Praha335Ci
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Asia