Vaccinations Ecuador Amazon

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Vaccinations Ecuador Amazon

Postby g_traveller_8e53a537 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 am

Hello, I am travelling into the Ecuador Amazon with my 12 year old son. I want to find out what vaccinations are absolutely essential - I went to a travel clinic and they were suggesting vaccines for almost every possibly disease which doesn't seem realistic and seemed almost like a money making proposition.

Based on travellers who have been there recently, I am looking for any thoughtful advice on this topic. The one I am unsure of is yellow fever. I think for the rest like cholera, typhoid, etc we can manage with precautions but just not sure if it may be worthwhile to take yellow fever vaccine especially because I am travelling with a younger traveller.

Appreciate your advice

Thanks

Shyam Nagarajan
g_traveller_8e53a537
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Vaccinations Ecuador Amazon

Postby ballu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:06 pm

I don't know about Ecuador, but when I went to Peru, the yellow fever vaccine was a requirement...and sometimes if you're travelling to somewhere else (or home) from a country with a risk of yellow fever, you're required to show proof before they let you in.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby rennstar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:49 am

I am going to Ecuador in January for 8 days (Ecuador Quest) and it does involve two nights at an Amazon homestay. I have been to Belize, The mangroves and jungles of Veracruz, Panama and Costa Rica rainforests and have never had any problems except an allergic reaction to a malaria med before and during Belize. I would appreciate any information on how to protect myself without take malaria meds or having the yellow fever vaccine which I also cannot take. I plan to take Hep A and typhoid vaccines. Are they necessary? I would appreciate meeting anyone who is on the January 7 Ecuador Quest trip or anyone who has been on it before or anyone who knows this area. Thanks.
rennstar

Postby TravelFun » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:14 am

Hi All,

I always check with the local nurse who uses this website for up-to-date information as reference:
https://nathnac.net/

For Ecuador, the vaccinations required can be found at this link:
https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/ ... mendations

Yellow Fever is only required if travelling in certain areas, again can be found in the link above. If you are going to one of the areas requiring YF certification and are unable to take it due to medical reasons then make sure you get a letter from your doctor and keep that with you when you travel.

ALWAYS check with your doctor or travel clinic for the latest updates and of any outbreaks.

Personally I always keep my Typhoid, Hepatitis A and Diphtheria/Tetanus/Polio vaccinations updated as it covers most places including home, the UK.

As for preventing malaria, apart from taking the medication you can also make sure you wear the right clothing. Long sleeve shirts and long trousers with minimum exposure of the skin, deet repellent is another option or look into citronella wrist bands...I seems to attract mosquitos so use a combination of all.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Return to Travel Tips