Tipping your SEO

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Tipping your SEO

Postby g_traveller_e979e4ca » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 am

....is it SEO or CEO - I can't remember! Your tour guide. The person who puts up with you for 2 weeks. I know it's personal and it's about how much you can afford, etc, but ball park figure me...

Thank you :)
g_traveller_e979e4ca
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Tipping your SEO

Postby kateyb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:50 pm

There is a guideline for tipping in the tour details section of the trip
kateyb
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby g_traveller_e979e4ca » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:03 am

Thank you
g_traveller_e979e4ca

Postby g_traveller_72e0edc9 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 am

I hate this part of the trips. I wish G Adventures and similar travel companies would include it in the price of the holiday. It is something that has always been awkward, unwanted and embarrassing for me and most of my fellow travellers. Tipping is not something I'm used to and I find it quite distasteful to be handing over money to a tour guide who has become a friend over the course of the trip. On every trip I've been on some travellers haven't realised this would be an extra expense and are left short of money for the trip as a result. Some have made a fuss about it, which I found really rude. It's just unnecessary - PLEASE stop this part of the trips. Just pay tour guides a proper wage from the price of the trips!
g_traveller_72e0edc9

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:48 pm

g_traveller_72e0edc9 wrote:I hate this part of the trips. I wish G Adventures and similar travel companies would include it in the price of the holiday. It is something that has always been awkward, unwanted and embarrassing for me and most of my fellow travellers. Tipping is not something I'm used to and I find it quite distasteful to be handing over money to a tour guide who has become a friend over the course of the trip. On every trip I've been on some travellers haven't realised this would be an extra expense and are left short of money for the trip as a result. Some have made a fuss about it, which I found really rude. It's just unnecessary - PLEASE stop this part of the trips. Just pay tour guides a proper wage from the price of the trips!

I don't know why it's awkward or embarrassing. I ENJOY giving gifts to people for a job well-done and I am happy to make the reward relative to their performance. In most cases, I expect my tip has been greater than what G would provide as a built-in wage increase.

There is really no reason for any traveler to be surprised by this -- it's listed in the Trip Details for every tour I've taken with G for the past decade and the travelers I've seen who complained the most about it never seemed to lack for money for beer or other entertainments on the trip, even at the end. While some of my fellow travelers would decline to participate (claiming they don't come from tipping cultures), I've never seen one for whom this was a genuine surprise.

BTW, G does seem to pay their guides a proper wage and then some. I have seen guides from other companies schmooze my G CEO asking to get a good word in or find out when G is hiring again.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby movieaddict_traveller » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 am

I'm not from a tipping culture country (I'm French) but I always tip my CEO! Similarly, whenever I have a guide (museum tour, excursions,...) in my home country I also tip!!
It is to show your appreciation of their work. And for the CEO in G Adventures, I also see that as a gift for the CEO as he/she becomes a friend over the trip. Tipping is more a goodbye present than giving money.
About the amount, just do as you feel as anyway your CEO will appreciate!
ImageImage
movieaddict_traveller
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby g_traveller_30e2f015 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Problem with the tipping is the presumption that everyone can afford equal amounts.

I have no issue with tipping but when doing the YOLO tours, its a bit awkward for younger people, students or just low paid people, to be able to afford to tip the same as someone who earns a half decent wage.
Some people save up for a year to afford one trip and make sacrifices to be able to get there and may not drink as much or buy souvenirs when travelling.

Say you do a 2 week trip, what would people say is an acceptable tip? Obviously it depends where you are so we'll go by percentage of the cost of trip.
2.5%, 5% or 10%?
g_traveller_30e2f015
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Janice08 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm

The trip details do give suggestions for tips. For the trips I've been on its $20 - $30 / week. On most trips I've taken, the group (or most of them) pool our tips and give it as a group to the guide. This way, no one feels awkward if the tip is lower or higher and the CEO doesn't know where they came from.
Janice08

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 pm

g_traveller_30e2f015 wrote:Problem with the tipping is the presumption that everyone can afford equal amounts.

I don't presume that at all but the suggested amount IS listed in the Tour Details so it's easy enough to factor that into your budget before even departing for the trip. On most trips I've been on, we decide collectively how much to give and if I think the guide deserves more, I'll give him/her more on the side. I can only think of 1 or maybe 2 trips where the group decided to make their gifts/tips individually and that's fine by me as well.
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Travel Tips