Pack locks

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Pack locks

Postby g_traveller_04ef3480 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Getting ready for a tour to china in September and one of the packing recommendations are pack locks. My pack isn't designed to be locked so I'm looking for an alternative. The question is, what should i be looking to protect against? Leaving my bag on trains or other places unattended or protecting my valuables? I see alternatives from pacsafe like a mesh wrap for your pack or a cable wrap or a travel safe but I'm not really sure what suits the purpose. Suggestions?
g_traveller_04ef3480
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Pack locks

Postby sundoro » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:49 pm

If you can't lock it then you need to get a new pack. This is just basic security to stop opportunistic theft.
sundoro
User Rank: Nomad

Postby going-solo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 pm

I would also recommend you look at getting a lockable bag, even just for flying to your destination it is much safer to have your bag locked (with TSA openable locks so they don't cut them off if they decide to check your bag) It also gives you more peace of mind anytime you leave your bag anywhere that no-one can go through it (eg hotel cleaners)

going-solo

Postby g_traveller_04ef3480 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:36 am

My pack isn't exclusively for travelling. Ideally it would have locks but it doesn't. So, for security I was looking at different pacsafe locks and bags. The question is, is it better to buy a mesh bag protector that covers the whole bag, or a cable lock that wraps around it and can be attached to something or a travel safe for my smaller valuables? Lots of options, I just don't know what's best. Thanks for the feedback.
g_traveller_04ef3480

Postby _kat_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 am

I would go for a basic flight bag to put around your bag which you can lock or a cable lock to put around the bag.
Those mesh bag protectors used to be very heavy and not so user friendly. I don't know if they still are. Also, they make it look like there is something very valuable in the bag, so they might attract more attention to the bag!

Don't worry to much about this. I have traveled with unlocked bags on many occasions with no issues at all (so far). Just keep your valuables with you if possible, covered under your clothes or in a day pack. If you're staying in hostels, make sure to take a padlock for the locker in your room.
_kat_
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Janice08 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:40 am

As Kat suggested, here's one option (if you live in Canada):
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-444/ ... rline-Tote
I think REI in the US also sells something similar.
I've used one of these before and they work well. Its great for the flight over as all the straps are hidden and won't get caught on conveyor belts.
Another option is to buy a cheap large folding duffle bag that your pack fits inside. Walmart sells one for about $20.
I agree that the PacSafe mesh covers would just draw unwanted attention and they are heavy. If someone want your stuff they will get it. Locks deter the opportunist theft but not the determined one.
Janice08
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby g_traveller_04ef3480 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks for the comments. I got the airline bag from MEC and I'll just lock it up in transit.
g_traveller_04ef3480

Return to Travel Tips