Golden Triangle packing list

Share traveling tips with other travellers.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Golden Triangle packing list

Postby ac1510 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:26 am

I just returned from my Golden Triangle tour and wanted to give some feedback on what i wished i'd brought and what I regretted.

Wish i'd brought:
1. Starbucks instant coffee packs ( if you love coffee and like a cup in the room when you wake up, bring these. The instant coffee they have is so weak. I always asked them to put two packages in my cup).
2. Mask for Delhi- pollution was bad and this would have helped a lot.
3. Healthy snacks- you are on buses for long period of times. The only snacks available seemed to be packages of crisps and cookies. Bring granola bars and healthy stuff if you don't want those types of snacks.
4. Reading material for the bus. There were long stretches where i would have loved some light reading material besides my book.
5. Some things to hand out to kids (crayons/colouring books) for when you are in the village overnight. If you take the bike tour you see lots of them.

Things I wish I didn't bring:

1. Water bottle- I know it is not environmentally friendly to say this but it wasn't practical for this tour and bottled water is everywhere. It took up a lot of room and was never used.
2. A big roll of toilet paper- this also wasn't needed. All the hotels we stayed in were fine for toilet paper. Just bring some small packs of tissues and hand sanitizer.

Hope this helps someone!
ac1510
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Golden Triangle packing list

Postby g_traveller_466002c7 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi not sure if your still on this but worth a try :) I'm doing the Golden triangle in India with two of my friends and just wondering if you have some tips while we are there :)
Would you recommend a back pack or suitcase with rollers ? We are going in June so very hot are they very strict with what clothes you wear and also Ramadan is on at this time are they really strict about eating food /drinking in public while touring I know it says it in itinerary but how strict is it ? How much money would you recommend to bring for the week and is it easy to get money from ATM's ? It says bring day packs for excursions does that mean we leave our main back pack /suitcase at the hotel ? Any other advice would be appreciated :):)
g_traveller_466002c7

Re: Golden Triangle packing list

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat May 20, 2017 2:46 pm

g_traveller_466002c7 wrote:Hi not sure if your still on this but worth a try :) I'm doing the Golden triangle in India with two of my friends and just wondering if you have some tips while we are there :)
Would you recommend a back pack or suitcase with rollers ? We are going in June so very hot are they very strict with what clothes you wear and also Ramadan is on at this time are they really strict about eating food /drinking in public while touring I know it says it in itinerary but how strict is it ? How much money would you recommend to bring for the week and is it easy to get money from ATM's ? It says bring day packs for excursions does that mean we leave our main back pack /suitcase at the hotel ? Any other advice would be appreciated :):)

I used a convertible backpack/suitcase but other travelers were just fine with regular suitcases, particularly ones with rollers. Porters will take your bags from the bus to your room so there's really no need to go with a backpack but the rollers will definitely make their life easier and save some ear and tear on your bag.

They were not strict about eating and drinking in public when I went but they WERE strict about your conduct at places like the Taj Mahal or Red Fort. No problems eating or drinking while you're walking in the street in Delhi or Rajasthan but really not a lot of opportunity. You'll have plenty of opportunity to snack while you're on the bus traveling between cities.

It's very easy to get money from the ATMs, just observe common-sense safety when using them. Take care of your card and hide your PIN when using ATMs, use only ATMs at actual bank sites.

You will want a daypack for your travel in the bus and when walking around. Your suitcase or main pack will be stored in a locked compartment in the bus and it's pretty inconvenient for you and the driver if you have to keep getting in there. You'll spend a couple nights in Delhi and another city -- obviously, your bag stays at the hotel on those days.

As far as clothing goes, you should be good if you cover your knees and your shoulders. The Sikh temple has head cloths you use to cover your hair when going inside. I like microfiber and synthetic fiber shirts that wick your sweat away. A neckerchief or bandanna that you can dampen and then drape around your neck will help with some evaporative dooling -- make sure it's nestled against your carotid to help conduct that heat away.

I'm afraid I don't remember how much I spent but a I bought a lot of souvenirs. Food is cheap -- figure most lunches or dinners being around $10 US, maybe $20 US for the group dinners and lunches at better establishments. The street merchants near the Taj Mahal and in Delhi were quite happy to take payment in US bills so be sure to have some smaller denominations and to be aware of the correct exchange rates. Also be very very aware of potential pickpockets -- I use 2 travel wallets, one that goes around my neck with my passport, primary credit card, and one day's worth of local currency.

The backup is a belt style that I wear under my shirt (and THAT is tucked inside my pants/shorts) with the rest of my currency, backup ID, backup credit card, ATM card, etc. Given where it's placed (front and center!) and the layers of clothing over it, if a pickpocket gets it, I figure s/he deserves it. :lol:
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Travel Tips