Gifts - Tanzania Families/Hosts

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Gifts - Tanzania Families/Hosts

Postby g_traveller_121b6081 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi,
I'm going on my first GAdventure and first African trip to the Tanzania (Camping Safari) and then Zanzibar Independent starting Dec 14.

For the Tanzania leg, we are going to be touring the Clean Cookstove Project.

Is there an expectation to bring a small token gift to the people whose homes we will be visiting? If not "expected" - do people generally do that? If so, what would you recommend to bring?

Same question for village tours. The tour guide will get tipped with money, but there's a "lunch with our new friends." What is the expectation, if any, to contribute to the meal or an offer of a small gift in appreciation?

I am legit stressing about the tipping/gifting stuff!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jo-Elle
Chicago, USA
g_traveller_121b6081
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Gifts - Tanzania Families/Hosts

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm

I didn't do these kinds of visits but when I went to Tanzania, they really liked getting school supplies or anything they could read in English. I'd suggest taking a box of pencils, a box of ballpoint pens, perhaps some writing tablets, and used paperbacks. If possible make the gifts to the village elder(s) to hand out as they will know what children need and deserve them.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby andrea2121 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi there,

I did the Tanzania Camping Safari a couple of years ago and I can say from my experience that there is absolutely no expectation or need to bring gifts or supplies of any kind. At the Clean Cookstove project, you don't really spend a lot of time in the women's homes or the village as a whole - they really just show you a 'before' and 'after' home, so you're not actually there for very long. The kids in the village enjoyed having us take pictures of them on our cameras/phones and then showing them to them but other than that there wasn't a lot of actual interaction. Same for the village tour near Lake Manyara (which is actually more like a bunch of villages all connected to one another - so it would be next to impossible to bring gifts or books etc. for the kids because there's just too many).

If you really wanted to do something, you could ask your CEO (tour guide) for some suggestions. You will be stopping at a large grocery store on your way out of Arusha to stock up on water and stuff, so you could always buy some things there. But again, it's neither commonplace or expected.

Hope that helps - you're going to have an incredible time!
andrea2121
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 pm

Many in our group had taken stickers/pencils and had our CEO arrange a school visit. We gave them to the teacher whose class we visited and we were told they'd be handed out as awards. I also took a big variety of colourful squares of cotton fabric. They pack flat and can be given to women you happen to meet. It's a wonderful place! Have fun!
When the winds of change begin to blow some people build walls. Others build windmills.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to Africa and Middle East