DMHM trip and Madagascar Plague - Your experience

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

DMHM trip and Madagascar Plague - Your experience

Postby g_traveller_3bc643f1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm

I am booked to go on the Nov 25th 'Highlights of Madagascar' trip. I am keeping an eye on how this plague situation develops for the next week or two. As of now I am still thinking of going, but trying to gather as much info as I can.
Has anyone taken this trip recently as any report on the situation they encountered there?

Have you noticed G adventures taking any extra precautions like not doing any activities involving crowds etc? like meeting people in villages etc.

According to the report below, public schools and airports are closed. Is that true?
http://www.ibtimes.com/plague-continues ... ar-2607956

I am concerned about the part of taking the air madagascar back from Ifaty to Tana. That will be one point which will involve possible contact with any affected people.

Am I being too paranoid? :)
Let us know your experience.

Thank you

- Sekar
Last edited by g_traveller_3bc643f1 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g_traveller_3bc643f1
User Rank: Weekender

Re: DMHM trip and Madagascar Plague - Your experience

Postby laura1986 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Following this with interest! Heading there next week- would be nice to hear insight from others there now! Keeping my fingers crossed!
laura1986

Postby brad.fraser » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:42 am

I'm quite concerned about this plague outbreak too, as Laura above will be able to attest :lol: :lol: Was legitimately on the cusp of canceling the tour once my airline (Air Seychelles) suspended all flights to and from Madagascar indefinitely. It's only because there's been no new cases of the plague in the last fortnight or so that I've decided to still go next week.

Would love to hear from someone who's just got back from this trip and their experiences with any alterations to the trip, any warnings from their CEO etc..

Unfortunately I've found G's safety updates quite lacking, and the information their phone consultant had when I called up was very outdated. Other travel companies who run comparable tours in Madagascar have provided much more information, such as what parts if any of the itinerary is affected or being modified etc.

Sekar - In case no one replies with their experiences, I'll try to log in and share mine once I've been there for a while.
brad.fraser
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby g_traveller_3bc643f1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Thank you Brad.

Yes, I find update about this lacking on G adventures website too. It would be nice to have
‘current travel alerts’ on the front page of the website. It’s hidden in the ‘safety updates’ link under ‘Resources’ section at the bottom of the page

Also it never mentions ‘pneumonic’ plague which is the main concern. It only says there is bubonic plague outbreak...and take some basic precautions and links to a WHO update from Oct 2, 2017. Sounds like they don’t want to give any info that will make people cancel trips 😶

From a good tour company I would expect an update that gives the current situation and what precautionary measures if any, G tour is taking to reassure people like change of activities, availability of medicines facilities etc along the tour route, any recommendations for people etc.
Kind of like you said, updates from their CEOs.

Well, I am doing my own research...getting WHO updates from here...
http://www.afro.who.int/health-topics/p ... on-reports

and following this thread on TripAdvisor
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... ascar.html

and CDC travel alert page here...
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/al ... madagascar

and UK travel health page here...
https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/ ... IoutBreaks

But would still be interested in knowing what this particular G itinerary involves :)
I’m still torn about this will decide after a week more of updates.
I’m booked to take virgin atlantic from San francisco and South African from Johannesburg. So far no changes from them.

If you end up going, take care and say hi to the lemurs.

brad.fraser wrote:I'm quite concerned about this plague outbreak too, as Laura above will be able to attest :lol: :lol: Was legitimately on the cusp of canceling the tour once my airline (Air Seychelles) suspended all flights to and from Madagascar indefinitely. It's only because there's been no new cases of the plague in the last fortnight or so that I've decided to still go next week.

Would love to hear from someone who's just got back from this trip and their experiences with any alterations to the trip, any warnings from their CEO etc..

Unfortunately I've found G's safety updates quite lacking, and the information their phone consultant had when I called up was very outdated. Other travel companies who run comparable tours in Madagascar have provided much more information, such as what parts if any of the itinerary is affected or being modified etc.

Sekar - In case no one replies with their experiences, I'll try to log in and share mine once I've been there for a while.
g_traveller_3bc643f1

Postby g_traveller_3bc643f1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Brad,
The link below says "The Ministry of Health in Seychelles is currently imposing a six day quarantine on all individuals arriving from Madagascar", something to check on if you pass through there.

https://customercare.statravel.com/hc/e ... vel-Advice

brad.fraser wrote:I'm quite concerned about this plague outbreak too, as Laura above will be able to attest :lol: :lol: Was legitimately on the cusp of canceling the tour once my airline (Air Seychelles) suspended all flights to and from Madagascar indefinitely. It's only because there's been no new cases of the plague in the last fortnight or so that I've decided to still go next week.

g_traveller_3bc643f1

Postby brad.fraser » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:56 am

Hey mate,
4th day on the tour, no plague related issues at all. Itinerary hasn't been altered, and we've really seen no signs of it, and have only seen one person wearing a flu mask.
It's perfectly safe!! You will be fine. And you'll have a great time too, this country is amazing. Don't forget a waterproof jacket!!
brad.fraser

Postby g_traveller_3bc643f1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi Brad,
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

I sent you a private message with some stupid questions :)

- sekar
g_traveller_3bc643f1

Return to Africa and Middle East