Visa for Kenya and Tanzania

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Visa for Kenya and Tanzania

Postby zebramara » Tue May 09, 2017 3:06 pm

I was told on the phone to get the East Africa Visa for Kenya and to go to visiteastafrica.org to get the visa and there's lots of info on the website about the requirements for a visa but no instructions on how to actually get the visa - any tips?

On the trip info it also says you can get a visa from www.ecitizen.go.ke but that looks to me like a single entry visa and I'm going on the Kenya and Tanzania Overland trip where I would enter Kenya twice so I'm not sure that visa would apply. The east Africa visa allows for multiple entries.

I've been told Tanzania I can get at the border. Please confirm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am coming from Canada.
zebramara
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Visa for Kenya and Tanzania

Postby kateyb » Tue May 09, 2017 5:07 pm

I just got back from East Africa a couple of months ago (I am Canadian as well) and received my East Africa visa at the Nairobi airport with no issues at all.
kateyb
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby zebramara » Wed May 10, 2017 10:39 am

Good to know. Thanks so much!
zebramara

Postby christiek77 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:48 pm

tanzania you can get at the border crossing.
christiek77
User Rank: Weekender

Postby helix » Fri May 12, 2017 6:57 pm

here you can apply for the east africa tourist visa: https://www.migration.gov.rw/index.php?id=233 (that's rwanda's immigration website but doesn't matter 'cause the visa is valid for Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya for 3 months and multiple entry) tanzania visa you'll get at the border.

Apparently it is possible to get Kenyan visa at the border as well, but personally i would play safe and get the visa in advance. I definitely would not want to have any problems at any of the African borders!!!

I went to Kenya and Tanzania last year and we were worried about the whole visa as we were flying back from Nairobi after Tanzania but our visa was for single entry only. (The east africa tourist visa didn't exist back then.) No one was able to tell us what to do, NOT EVEN THE EMBASSY OF KENYA! The embassy just told us to get the single entry visa and then ask what to do once we get into the country! At the border extremely annoyed and unhelpful person said that yes you can come back to the nairobi airport from tanzania with single entry visa but refused to give us any more information about that. Just showed us to move on.

Again when we asked about this at the Tanzanian border a really unfriendly person (who stamped our passports) just nodded and told us to go away. Fortunately there was no problems getting back to Kenya, we just had to say that we're only going back to the airport. Anyway wasn't the nicest feeling to feel that unsure the whole time... :(
helix
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby diparis » Sat May 13, 2017 5:22 am

I applied for the East African Visa before leaving on the trip, it was quite easy...

https://www.migration.gov.rw/index.php?id=233
“Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” - Anita Desai
&
“Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” - David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
diparis
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby g_traveller_5d9b533e » Wed May 17, 2017 10:44 pm

kateyb wrote:I just got back from East Africa a couple of months ago (I am Canadian as well) and received my East Africa visa at the Nairobi airport with no issues at all.

Very interesting, but I'm wondering if you just got lucky, as reading further on, folks relate the hassles they had entering both Kenya and Tanzania. I'm traveling with a GAdventures group and they advise applying for the two visas well in advance. Each country has a lengthy form to fill out, requiring all kinds of items to be sent to them, such as passport, picture, copy of travel itinerary, etc.
g_traveller_5d9b533e

Postby kateyb » Thu May 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Could be, the Trip Advisor forums have lots of talks about this and everyone was saying that they had no issues getting their East Africa visa on arrival. It could be dependant on where you enter from. I entered from Nairobi airport and it was so easy.
kateyb

Postby g_traveller_5d9b533e » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:14 pm

My travel agent advised me to get both Kenya and Tanzania visas in advance of trip, and further suggested I use CIBT services to help me thru the alleged very complicated process. I did that, and still found the process complicated and time consuming. Don't know how much hassle they saved me, if any, vs. applying directly with their consuls. By I do know that I paid CIBT an arm and a leg for their services - way more than the simple cost charged by the consuls.
g_traveller_5d9b533e

Postby arcticflower » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 am

My East Africa Visa just arrived. I applied directly with the High Commission in Ottawa at CBIT required a whole lot of things that the High Commission did not. It cost $130 and posting costs.

I'm unsure why you would get an East African Visa if not going to Rwanda or Uganda. Further, you have to apply for the visa in the first country of entry. So you can't apply through Rwanda if you are going there.

Kenya offers a multiple entry visa. You can apply gif that directly through the High Commmission or Embassy, just as the East African Visa.
arcticflower

Postby g_traveller_5d9b533e » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 am

[My East Africa Visa just arrived. I applied directly with the High Commission in Ottawa at CBIT required a whole lot of things that the High Commission did not. It cost $130 and posting costs.

I'm unsure why you would get an East African Visa if not going to Rwanda or Uganda. Further, you have to apply for the visa in the first country of entry. So you can't apply through Rwanda if you are going there.

Kenya offers a multiple entry visa. You can apply gif that directly through the High Commmission or Embassy, just as the East African Visa.]

I did not apply for an East Africa visa - just individual ones for Kenya and Tanzania. That $130 cost is about what I expected to pay when I started the visa application process last spring. But I ended up paying CIBT some $600 for their services! As difficult a process as it was with CIBT, I can't believe it would have been much more so had I applied directly, and I would have saved lots of money. Well, hindsight is better than foresight, as is said!
g_traveller_5d9b533e

Return to Africa and Middle East