Vaccinations for Southern African Encompassed

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

Vaccinations for Southern African Encompassed

Postby lana_c@hotmail.co.uk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 am

Hi I'm travelling to Southern Africa from the UK late august. We go to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana on this trip. Apart from malaria tablets, it doesn't seem that I actually NEED any other vaccines/medication. On our government website a few things like Hep A, tetanus and typhoid are advised but aren't really pushed.
Do you think I should get these or will it just be a waste of money?
I'm definitely getting malaria tablets but unsure whether I actually need the vaccines or not.

Thanks in advance
lana_c@hotmail.co.uk
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Vaccinations for Southern African Encompassed

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi there,

I'm from the UK too and I always see the local nurse (or GP) for latest advice on vaccinations and of any new outbreaks. I would recommend to keep your Hepatitis A, Tetanus and Typhoid vaccinations up-to-date as these are related to the following:

Hepatitis A - Hepatitis A is a viral infection transmitted through contaminated food and water or by direct contact with an infectious person.
Tetanus - Tetanus bacteria are present in soil and manure and may be introduced through open wounds such as a puncture wound, burn or scratch.
Typhoid - Typhoid is a bacterial infection transmitted through contaminated food and water.

My local nurse uses the following site and is also suggested by FCO UK (the above information is from this site):
https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/

Do take the time to see your GP, nurse or a travel clinic and then decide what you want to do.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby g_traveller_34bd23e8 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:21 am

Hi Lana,

I am a possibly going on the same trip as you!

I fly 25th Aug 😊
g_traveller_34bd23e8

Postby Janice08 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:13 am

You might want to check regarding the Yellow Fever vaccine. From what I've read the requirements change regularly. If needed, you should get it 10 days before you travel (and bring proof that you have it).

As mentioned already, see a Travel Medical Clinic if possible for up to date information. Your GP may be familiar with requirements. My pharmacist keeps up to date but I doubt all do.

The CDC website is another good source of information.
Janice08
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby helix » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Every single person on this planes should have tetanus vaccination taken within the last 10 years all the time, doesn't matter where you live or travel!!

I would also recommend everyone having Hepatitis A vaccination, as it's a disease you can get anywhere in the world. The vaccination is valid for a long time, even though fairly expensive when you first get it. If you travel a lot in developing countries i would also recommend having hepatitis B vaccine, in case you happen to get contaminated with blood (e.g. in case of having to be hospitalized). Slightly cheaper way to get these two is to take the vaccination that covers both viruses.

I would also advise having yellow fever vaccination and having the official certificate on you while traveling in Africa. Some countries are extremely strict with this and will not let you enter the country without the certification. I've heard that some people haven't been able to get in to South Africa after they've visited Zambia. Apparently this is not official rule but personally I wouldn't take a risk...

So i would advise you to get Tetanus (definitely!!!), Hepatitis A (or maybe the combination of A and B) and Yellow Fever. I would not bother with typhoid or Cholera unless spending a lot of time in these countries or really living "the local life".
helix
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby lanamaymay » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Thank you all! I'll take your advice on board and get the required vaccinations haha
lanamaymay

Postby lanamaymay » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 pm

g_traveller_34bd23e8 wrote:Hi Lana,

I am a possibly going on the same trip as you!

I fly 25th Aug 😊

I've private messaged you!!!
lanamaymay

Return to Africa and Middle East