sleepwear for Kenya,Tanzania

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: jimshu, JaliscoJudy, sinecure, ballu, TravelFun

sleepwear for Kenya,Tanzania

Postby g_traveller_5d9b533e » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm considering a trip there this coming August. Bedding is not provided so I'm advised to bring a sleeping bag and pillow. To conserve space, as sleeping bags can be bulky, what about bringing just an old sheet and a small lightweight blanket - any comments on doing that? I can make do with a sweatshirt or the like for a pillow. Thanks.
g_traveller_5d9b533e
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: sleepwear for Kenya,Tanzania

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 pm

We used sleeping bags in compression sacks. They actually compressed smaller than just a sheet and blanket! One of us used rolled up clothes as a pillow, the other brought an inflatable one. We went end of July/beginning of August and it was pretty cold at Ngorongoro crater. We were happy to have the sleeping bags. We brought our daypack on the plane with the sleeping bag hanging from it and had no trouble claiming it as carry-on.
When the winds of change begin to blow some people build walls. Others build windmills.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 pm

If you are spending the night at Ngorongoro Crater, that will likely be a trifle chilly for a thin sheet and blanket. I did the trip in June 2009 and both Ngorongoro and Iringa were chilly. For other parts of the trip, that would be fine. On the other hand, I have a 2 season sleeping bag which compresses to about the size of a rugby ball or smaller and a 3-season which compresses to about volleyball size. I don't see that you'd get much space savings from that with a thin blanket.

I like just bringing a pillow case or laundry bag and using my spare clothes inside as the pillow.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby g_traveller_5d9b533e » Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 pm

IncaTrail50 wrote:We used sleeping bags in compression sacks. They actually compressed smaller than just a sheet and blanket! One of us used rolled up clothes as a pillow, the other brought an inflatable one. We went end of July/beginning of August and it was pretty cold at Ngorongoro crater. We were happy to have the sleeping bags. We brought our daypack on the plane with the sleeping bag hanging from it and had no trouble claiming it as carry-on.

Can you tell me what the temp got down to at night at the Crater? I'm asking because I asked GAdventures that question - they told me 15C. That isn't that cold, which would seem to conflict with your experience. Thanks.
g_traveller_5d9b533e

Postby g_traveller_a3f56b3f » Thu May 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Just get a sleeping bag that compresses up well. Mine compress down to smaller than a football and weighs under a kg.

On other G Adventures camping trips I've taken a travel pillow and just carried it on the bus with me.
g_traveller_a3f56b3f
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat May 20, 2017 2:20 pm

g_traveller_5d9b533e wrote:
IncaTrail50 wrote:We used sleeping bags in compression sacks. They actually compressed smaller than just a sheet and blanket! One of us used rolled up clothes as a pillow, the other brought an inflatable one. We went end of July/beginning of August and it was pretty cold at Ngorongoro crater. We were happy to have the sleeping bags. We brought our daypack on the plane with the sleeping bag hanging from it and had no trouble claiming it as carry-on.

Can you tell me what the temp got down to at night at the Crater? I'm asking because I asked GAdventures that question - they told me 15C. That isn't that cold, which would seem to conflict with your experience. Thanks.

Bear in mind I was there in June but I would guess it was about 10 C give or take a couple degrees.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby helix » Mon May 22, 2017 5:27 pm

also depending on which tour you're going to be on. I did the camping safari (last year), which is "classic" tour and we were provided warm blankets for the nights at the crater. These blankets are not provided on yolo tours so you might want to have a bit warmer sleeping bag if you're "going yolo".
helix
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Africa and Middle East