Africa. Nairobi-Cape Town Aventure. 17th June - 26th July

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Africa. Nairobi-Cape Town Aventure. 17th June - 26th July

Postby gemwood » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Hello!

I've just booked the Africa Nairobi-Cape Town tour. I'll be going from the 17th June - 26th July. I'm so excited about the trip and I was just wondering if there are any other people on this doing the same trip or something similar.

I've tried to respond to all the posts I've spotted so far that have roughly the same tour details but please reply to mine even if I have! It would be nice to speak to you all.

I'm not a shy person but it would be great to know a few names before I arrive.

Thanks!

Gilly. Scotland.
gemwood
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Africa. Nairobi-Cape Town Aventure. 17th June - 26th Jul

Postby tonym » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi Gilly,
Well I think I'm on the same trip as you! I am doing the 17th departure all right but only as far as Vic Falls. I am joining another G trip there to Windhoek but it may be the same group again as I know you guys are going on to Cape Town.
I arrive in Nairobi on the Friday but am not staying at the G hotel. Not that there's anything wrong with it as far as I know, it's just that i know someone from Nairobi and they recommended a different place!
Anyway, like you I am very excited about the whole thing and I look forward to meeting you.

Tony
Ireland
tonym

Postby emily-la » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Hey Guys,

I'll be doing the full 40 days with you Gilly, so it should be a good time. I'm super excited.

Any chance anyone's flying solo? I'd hate to be the only one.

Emily
Canada
emily-la
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby gemwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:42 am

Hi Emily and Tony!!

It's so nice to know your names before I arrive. I'm terrible at remembering names, haha.

Yes Emily, I'll be flying solo (which I'm going to assume as "on your own". For a second there I thought you genuinely meant flying alone...on a plane, haha). So it's all on my own apart from you lovely people. Don't worry.

Gilly,

Scotland.
gemwood

Postby carlson- » Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 am

Hey There,
Gilly and I have been chatting already and I think I'm on the same tour with you guys as well, up to July 12. Seems like it's going to be a fantastic trip. I'm going solo as well (from the sounds of it there are quite a few of us). I'm actually going to Uganda for a few days prior to do the Gorilla Trek in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park which should be fun.
Can't wait to get out there and meet everyone!
Emily, what part of Canada are you from? I'm in Toronto :)

Car
Canada
carlson-

Postby tonym » Wed May 01, 2013 4:22 pm

hi again Gilly, Car, Emily
I too am flying solo as you say. i would be lying if a said I wasn't relieved to be the only one either! A friend of mine is joining me for the Vic Falls to Windhoek leg... a Canadian two of you will be pleased to hear...from Edmonton.
tonym

Postby gemwood » Wed May 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Ohhhhh It's all very exciting.

How old are all of you?

Gilly
x
gemwood

Postby stahs » Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm on the Nairobi to Joburg trip with Carlson but based on the itinerary it appears that we will all be together for the first half up until Victoria Falls. I'm 23, Canadian, and also travelling alone. When the trip filled up I called gadventures and asked about some general demographics of the group, they told me that about half of us booked alone (and the other half booked as doubles/couples) so there should be several other solo travelers among us. I'll be arriving the day before around 6pm and staying at the gadventures hotel so maybe we can arrange to meet or have dinner that night if people want to meet up a day early. Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

-Stahs
stahs

Postby gemwood » Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Hello!

Oh that's great! I've been wondering whether I could email the company about that but you already have. That's great.
I'm arriving early too. When you say the G-adventures hotel, do you mean Hotel Boulevard (the meeting hotel) or somewhere else?

Gilly.
gemwood

Postby stahs » Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Hey,

Yea, I meant the Hotel Boulevard one. When I called them, G adventures gave me a bunch of interesting information about the group like ages, genders, countries of origin, etc. I forget the details now but I remember thinking that we would have an interesting group. Just over a month to go!

-Stahs
stahs

Postby emily.layla » Mon May 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey everyone!!

I'm getting super pumped about this trip now that I know I'm not the only solo traveller!
Just general information about myself. I'm 20, female, and born and raised in Toronto. I'll be landing at 8:30 the night before and staying at the joining hotel. I imagine I won't actually make it there til around 10 so I'll miss dinner, but im excited to meet everyone either that night or throughout the trip!!

Emily
emily.layla

Postby carlson- » Tue May 14, 2013 4:34 pm

It's so nice we can chat prior to the trip - I'm down for dinner the night before. Maybe we should pick a time to meet in the lobby?
Emily, maybe we can leave details if we figure out where we're going before we leave the hotel so if you're not late you can join us, even for a drink/chat?
When I called Gap they said it was a mix of ages and a bunch of solo travelers if that helps anyone.
Less than a month gang - so excited to meet all of you!
carlson-

Postby gemwood » Tue May 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Arranging to meet at a certain time at the hotel would be really nice actually. It would be cool to meet a few of you before we meet the others the next morning. I'm arriving into Nairobi the evening before also and staying at Hotel Boulevard, so I'd totally be up for drinks that evening. I think its about 8ish that I land (I could be wrong) so I'll miss dinner like Emily. But we can arrange something a week before we see each other or something like that.

Xx Gilly
gemwood

Postby emily.layla » Thu May 16, 2013 9:02 pm

With just a month left to go I'm starting to gather my things and I've come across a dilemma;

Has anyone decided what they're bringing shoe wise??

I have great hiking boots, but I also love my runners. I know packing light is always better, so it's hard to decide what I'm willing to live without for six weeks.

What are you guys packing?
emily.layla

Postby brookiie » Sat May 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Hey Guys,
My name is Brooke and I just booked this trip totally last minute yesturday! I'm 18, and I'm flying into Nairobi, arriving on the 16th at 1pm, and so I think I'll arive at the hotel Boulevard at 3pm or 4pm, I have no idea, my travel agent organised my an airport transfer but I have no idea how long it will take. It would be really nice to meet some of you that night, before we leave. And I was just planning on being bored in the hotel alone for that evening, because I don't think I'd have the nerve to wonder out into Nairobi alone... Also I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I'm doing the 40 day tour right down to Cape town, and I'm solo. Emily, what I'm planning on bringing is a pair of very sturdey good quality runners and a pair of very sturdey good quality sandals. I bought them both from hiking stores, and my mum told I should get the sandals, although I'm reconsudering them now since I'm wondering if I'll actually wear them due to mosquitoes/ little insects and scorpions on the ground. My mum said that it would get hot which is why I should take them (to wear with socks). What do you reckon? Also guys, I have pretty bad mosquito reactions so what are you guys doings with regards to mosquito protection?
brookiie

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge