Delhi to Kathmandu Questions

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Delhi to Kathmandu Questions

Postby mike433 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:47 am

Hi guys,

I'm booked on the Delhi to Kathmandu adventure for October. I'm a reasonably traveled and adaptable guy but I have a few random questions I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with:

1. I'll be arriving in Delhi a few days early, is it easy to get from the airport to the hotel? is there anything you can recommend seeing and doing in Delhi?
2. I hear sickness and diarrhea are pretty much a guarantee for India :shock: . Any sort of medication available to take with you or prior to the trip that will help?
3. Laundry. I'm doing the trekking Annapurna trip literally straight after this and will need to do some laundry at some point on the Delhi to Kathmandu trip. Is there anywhere to get some laundry done? What are the costs like?
4. Nepal visa's? I've heard you can buy a Nepal visa on the border. Is this easy to do? How much? What do you need to do this? Is it better to get one prior to your trip?
5. India visa's? I'm going to get one prior to the trip but I hear varied reports of how long it takes to go through the process. Some people say weeks, some say months. How realistic are these estimates?
6. Any other random fun advice?

Thank you for any advice on these random topics :D
mike433
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Delhi to Kathmandu Questions

Postby alabama-on-tour » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:37 am

Hi.

I'm doing this trip in April, so (if I remember) I'll answer your Q's when I return!!

Amy :D
alabama-on-tour

Postby coqui14 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:12 am

1. I'll be arriving in Delhi a few days early, is it easy to get from the airport to the hotel? is there anything you can recommend seeing and doing in Delhi?
Yes is easy to get from the airport to hotel. The airport has official taxi's that you can take. You pay upfront and will take you anywhere. If you are staying few days, you can take a Trip to Agra and see the Taj Mahal.

2. I hear sickness and diarrhea are pretty much a guarantee for India . Any sort of medication available to take with you or prior to the trip that will help?
If you are carful with your food and try not to eat from the street vendors, you may be fine. Is good idea to take some antibiotics (as your doctor) in case of stomach problems as well as medication for diarrea such as Immodium. Ii did not have any stomach problems, I came back with a respiratory infection... but it was over after few weeks.

3. Laundry. I'm doing the trekking Annapurna trip literally straight after this and will need to do some laundry at some point on the Delhi to Kathmandu trip. Is there anywhere to get some laundry done? What are the costs like?
Labor is cheap in India. You will be able to find laundry services everywhere and realtively unexpensive. I don't remember how much I paid for laundry but it was not much otherwise I will remember...

4. Nepal visa's? I've heard you can buy a Nepal visa on the border. Is this easy to do? How much? What do you need to do this? Is it better to get one prior to your trip?
You can get the Nepal visa at the border. I did without any problems. The price change depending of the amount of time you are going to be there. Under three days is free, 15 days I believe is $25, 30 days is $40. and so on...

5. India visa's? I'm going to get one prior to the trip but I hear varied reports of how long it takes to go through the process. Some people say weeks, some say months. How realistic are these estimates?
I will recommend to get you Indian visa in advance, is just easier. I live in USA and I sent my passport and docummentation by mail and I got it within a week (I used fedex to be able to tack it). I had no problems and the process was easy. Go to the web pages and rearch for requirements and download the application forms.

6. Any other random fun advice?
Just have fun... and enjoy the bathrooms :-)

Good luck
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby rachsmith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

I'm going on this trip in May and have a question: do I need to bring a sleeping bag for this trip?
rachsmith

Postby collywobbles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi Coqui 14 :D

I did this trip in august 2011. I booked a transfer for when I arrived at delhi. I find it a safer option travelling on my own as a lone female. Delhi Airport is easy to negotiate but the crowds of people oh man ! never saw so many people :lol: I got my Indian Visa in advance it only took me 7 days but I am living in Ireland. Visas for Nepal can be got at the border. Just have 2 photos and I think it was 20 dollars it may be more but I don't think It is much more. In Kathmandhu you will get plenty of places to do laundry. Just don't drink water from tap use bottle water . I was very ill on the day we went to Taj Mahal even though I had very little to eat. I took Diaoralyte and glucose drinks. I also had immodium for delhi belly. There is probably lots of advice on the forum on how to cope with delhi belly on this trip. And yes toilets are lets just say exceptional :mrgreen: especially on the train trips :lol: Bring your own toilet paper and hand sanitizer. They will be your best friends on this trip. It is a great trip . India is noisey, mankey,., full of cows wandering streets ,dogs, people and a lot of horns and bikes. Enjoy :P
collywobbles

Postby tlr » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:21 am

What is the average age of travellers on this trip? I want to bring my daughter (aged 12) and it is available for travellers 12 and up, but will it be full of young party people? Is the pace ok for a 12 year old? Is there anything to worry about? Cheers.
tlr
User Rank: Weekender

Postby mike433 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:01 pm

I did this trip in October 2013. I have done a few G trips and have found the age range on trips does vary quite a bit so it really is pot luck what you get with ages, nationalities etc. I found on my trip of 12 I was 3rd oldest at 29. I have found as a generic for G trips the average is the bulk of people are 25-35 with some older and some younger. I think it's more the YOLO trips that are for the young party backpackers rather then the classic which this one is. Of course a few people with have a few drinks and a few will be in bed by 9pm every night haha!

I'm not a parent myself so i can't tell if if you have anything to worry about from a parental perspective. Just remember India can be a dodgey place if you are not street wise. But if you have a sensible head on your shoulders and you keep an eye on your daughter then it should be fine.

Mike
mike433

Postby tlr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks Mike!
How are the hotels? Did everyone eat together or go off their own separate ways? I am a bit over the age range you mentioned but hopefully fit enough to keep up. Does the trip guide stay with you most of the time?
There is a family trip to India which also looks good however having the added bonus of Nepal makes this one look incredible.
Cheers for your help.
tlr

Postby mike433 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:05 am

I personally was surprised by how good the accommodation was. It was a mixture of adequate, fit for purpose hotels and one or two top notch ones. Don't worry about being over the age range, the oldest on the trip was 58 and he fit in pretty well. Remember everyone has the travel bug in common so there will be similar interests to talk about. So don't think your past it! A lot of the time we ate meals together as a group but sometimes you have the option to go and do your own thing so you have the best of both worlds. The guide is with you most of the time as there wasn't much in the way of free time on the trip, I mean there is the odd hour or two here and there but not like a full afternoon etc. During your free time your guide will recommend you stuff to do or help you to do the things you want to do. It's tough choosing a trip to India. I found not one trip had everything I wanted to do but in the end I actually preferred Nepal to India. No matter what trip you pick it will definitely be an experience.... thats for sure!
mike433

Postby firsttimetraveler » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi Mike,

Am doing this trip in April, looking forward to it but a tad nervous at the same time. Am a female traveling alone. I had a few questions hopefully you can help me with. G Adventures suggests around 300 $ American dollars for food. Was it enough? As for Nepal, is it easy to change your American money to Nepalese rupees? I will be staying in Nepal for a month after the tour for volunteering and I would need Nepalese rupees rather then American money. How good is the internet service where we are traveling (question of keeping in touch with family). Finally, the water situation.. In your opinion should I bring iodine tablets to purify my water to drink or is sticking with bottled or boiled water safe enough?

Thank you for your time!
Namaste
Laura
firsttimetraveler
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby collywobbles » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi firstimetraveller

Eating out is pretty cheap in India. I cashed about 300 EUR and I had plenty. In nepal they will take indian rupees if you have any left. There are plenty atms and money changing places in nepal in kathmandhu in pokahara. I bought bottled water it was cheap enough. Internet in nepal at times was sporadic. Plenty of internet cafe's but sometimes internet was down or quiet slow. It was hit and miss somedays. I think most of the time it was ok in thehotels we stayed we would get the wifi code or they had laptops inlobby for us to use.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
collywobbles

Return to Asia