Needing Advice for South East Asia

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Needing Advice for South East Asia

Postby bekahf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanting a bit of advice on a couple of questions.
I am going to China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore next May, and I wondered about how much money to take (I do like a good souvenir), and how to take it, cash, travellers, pre paid card or debit card etc or a mixture?

Any other advice about a young girl travelling on the small adevnture tours would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Bekah
bekahf
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Needing Advice for South East Asia

Postby desiree2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi
A mixture is always safe but don't worry about Travellers' Cheques as they aren't really used any more. Most SEA countries have ATMs every where, but cash is always handy just in case.
Enjoy your trip
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby kateyb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:27 am

i found that area very safe...bring US cash as some back up. ATM's are everywhere, so don't bother with the traveler's checks. Everything is very cheap there. Don't be afraid to try street food, just use common sense where you eat.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby bekahf » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Thank you :)
bekahf

Postby jen-ny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:41 am

I travelled with Gap in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand six months ago. My tip would be to take a Visa card, I had few problems with Visa whilst some of the others had other card companies and struggled with finding an ATM. I would also take dollars with me. In Laos be aware of that the power can go out in whole cities so always when going out at night bring a flashlight. If you are travelling on a Yolo trip be aware of that some of the overnight trains are not so nice so bring a light sleeping bag/silkbag so you do not have to use the used sheets on the train(a bit nasty). Sunscreen: I found it sometimes hard to find sunscreen that did not contain whiting formula so unless you wanna be less tanned than when you left bring some sunloition espesially for your face. If you travelling there in May the weather gonna be hot, and you will have to cover up when going into temples so bring some light clothes that will cover your ankles/shoulders. I found it also hard to find makeup pads, but it all depends where you are. You gonna have great trip!!! :D
jen-ny
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby bekahf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 am

That's great advice, I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Another quick question though, what footwear should I take? Will I be ok with sandals or should I take something a little more heavy duty like converse or trainers?
bekahf

Postby dreaded_luggage » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Did "Indochina Discovery" Bangkok - Ho Chi Minh City - Hanoi - Chiang Mai in 2009, and bailed in Chiang Mai take in the Flight of the Gibbon and the Flower Festival. Going back to Vietnam this year. Been missing it terribly. Two notes on timing: everything's shut for Lunar New Year in early to mid February, so avoid that, and check the weather averages before choosing your tour dates.

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Displ ... Units=none
http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Displ ... Units=none

Going to Hoi An? Take an empty sports bag with you. Bring it back full of silk. I'm taking my sketch pad of designs with me this time.

For food, something it took me too long to work out last time is that the street food is safer than some of the restaurants. The push-cart barbecue where the food goes from the flames direct to your plate, especially, one with an electric fan with tissue-paper streamers to stop flies settling, has more reliable hygiene than kitchens you can't see.

Last time, in 30 days, I think all but one of us got sick at some point. Me, I got it from the Friends' Restaurant in Phnom Penh, and man, did I get it. I think I pulled muscles in my stomach throwing that lunch up. Two litres of Coke (drown in vile poison, evil bacteria!), no dinner and toast and jam for breakfast had me fine and fit by 10am the next day, though, so it didn't wreck the trip, just part of my afternoon. By contrast, somewhere in Syria poisoned me for a week.

Best food on the whole ATID trip, in my opinion, was Cambodian. The alley south of Pub Street is full of tables, like French pavement cafes without a street between them, and we managed to eat at two restaurants at once. Just get everything on the menu, share it between everyone and pay equal shares. It's not worth fussing about who ate what.

It's probably worth your while to get town maps. The simplest way may be to print screenshots from google maps, map or satellite view. For example, Pub St and environs in Siem Reap: https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=13. ... 17&vpsrc=6

Safety: no issues anywhere except the Thailand-Cambodia border crossing, which was rife with tiny pickpockets. Mount a watch. Everywhere else, everyone's nice.
dreaded_luggage
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby bekahf » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 am

Wow thank you, I really appreicate all your advice, its made me even more excited and happier to go!!

Hope you enjoy your travels!!
bekahf

Return to Asia