Yellow Fever and Malaria meds for Peru on a Shoestring SPPS

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Yellow Fever and Malaria meds for Peru on a Shoestring SPPS

Postby 13977 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi,

I'm going on the Peru on a Shoestring SPPS and am reading conflicting information on if I need a yellow fever vaccination and malaria meds for the locations on this trip. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lima
Nazca
Arequipa/Colca Canyon
Cuzco
Ccacaccollo
Ollantaytambo
Inca Trail/Machu Picchu

User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Yellow Fever and Malaria meds for Peru on a Shoestring S

Postby graybeard » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 am

Both yellow fever and malaria are mosquito transmitted illnesses. The bugs are much more common to the hot and wet areas in Peru, like the Amazon basin. When I was there the yellow fever shot was "required" for the amazon portion, though nobody actually ever checked anything!. Malaria was also not a concern. Since you are traveling along mostly higher altitudes, there shouldn't be a issue. However, this is based on personal experience and the advise I was given by my travel MD. It seems some folks just assume that if one part of a country has disease issue, then ALL of it must. Not necessarily true.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby coqui14 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am

If you go to Pto Maldonado, malaria pills are recommended, for anything else, there is not need for extra vaccinations. All the areas are too high in altitude for the mosquitoes that transmit malaria or yellow fever. I been in those town without any problems. The CDC (www.cdc.gov) has no requirements for yellow fever vaccination in areas above 2300 m, and malaria above 2000m. Malaria profilactives are not required in high tourist areas of Peru. Hope this will help.
coqui14

Postby Zuleika » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Neither are required on this trip you are too high - only in the amazon basin which you dont go to.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby 13977 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:58 am

Thank you so much guys.
You pritty much confirmed what I thought, that I'd only need them if going to the jungle/Amazon which I'm not.

graybeard wrote:It seems some folks just assume that if one part of a country has disease issue, then ALL of it must. Not necessarily true.

I think this is pretty much why there is so much confilcting advice on Yellow Fever and Malaria for Peru.

My nurse told me they were 99% sure I wouldn't need these but they couldn't say for 100% as it depends on how moblie the population is.

Postby paulag » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:47 am

Hi I am travelling to Peru later this year too and have been reading up on vaccinations recently.

Not sure where you are travelling from, but the Australian Government's Department of Health and Ageing has a great section on Yellow Fever and the requirements for entering Australia after being in a declared yellow fever country. The information can be found here:
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/ ... ellow.htm/

Have a great trip!
paulag

Postby sinecure » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 pm

While they may not be required to enter and exit Peru, they maybe required by other countries you want to visit after. Best to check with a travel doctor to mitigate any surprises.

Have a great trip!
sinecure

Postby 13977 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 am

Thanks guys, I'm travelling from and returning to the UK, with transfers in Amsterdam.

Return to South America