Belize & Tikal Adventure

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Belize & Tikal Adventure

Postby vesnad9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:15 pm

I am seriously considering going on this trip but want input bout safelty. I am a single woman and am wondering how safe it is for me to wander around Belize City the day before the trip starts. I also want to stay on Caye Caulker for an extra day as well. If others going on this trip are there a day before and a day after then I have no problems but....I am waiting to book my airfare until I hear from you guys!!
Thanks -
vesnad9
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Belize & Tikal Adventure

Postby ballu » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:04 pm

Please use our departure lounge to find fellow travellers:

viewforum.php?f=69
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby vesnad9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm not so much looking for fellow travellers on this site - I am asking if anyon ehas been there before and if there is a problem with a single woman's safety walking through Belize City. I am trying to decide if I should arrive a day early and leave a day later!! Could you elaborate on this for me? Thanks!
vesnad9

Postby bioteach » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 pm

I did this trip with my husband 2 years ago. Although I wasn't walking on my own, I thought the parts of Belize city close to the water were relatively safe during the day. I wouldn't go out at night, though, even with someone else. We arrived a day early - our usual strategy to ensure that our luggage is there when the trip departs - since we have done a couple of trips where our luggage arrived a day after we did. There is not a lot to see in Belize city - it only took us about an hour to see the sights there. An extra day in Caye Caulker would definitely be worth doing. It's so laid back and relaxed.
This whole trip was excellent, lots of variety - Mayan temples,caves, canoeing down the river, exploring the coast at Dangriga, and finishing with Caye Caulker. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
bioteach

Postby vesnad9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Bioteach - Thank you sooo much for your reply - I will now book my trip - I didn't think there was much to see in the city so that makes me happy!! I will stay an extra day in Caye Caulker though. I can't wait!!!!

Have a great day and thanks again!!
vesnad9

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean