Costa Rica on a Shoestring

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica on a Shoestring

Postby nmbakari » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Nailah, and I am going on the Costa Rica on a Shoestring trip. I am traveling with my best friend Andrea, and we are really excited to meet other people going on the trip. We are two college students from Dallas and Boston who love traveling. We have never done this type of trip before, but we are excited to jump right in and soak up all Costa Rica has to offer!

Just a quick question! In attempts to bring only a carry on, is there anything on the packing list you are not bringing, or you think could be left at home? For example, do you think we will really need the rubber boots, wool socks or pocket knife?

We look forward to meeting you soon!
Nailah & Andrea
nmbakari
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica on a Shoestring

Postby Janice08 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:40 pm

I haven't been on your trip but I've been to Costa Rica a couple of times. You can manage with just carry-on. As for a pocket knife, you can either borrow one from someone else if you need one or if you feel its something you can't do without, go to a store in San Jose when you arrive and buy an inexpensive kitchen utility knife and make a sheath out of cardboard and tape. The list of things to bring doesn't include rubber boots, only socks to wear under them. I can't see on the itinerary where you would be doing a hike that needs them. The trips I've been on, when the hike was somewhere muddy, boots were available, you just might want heavy socks to wear inside them but they aren't required. Other ways to cut down on the amount of stuff you need is to share things like first aid kit, emergency medications, insect repellant, shampoo, alarm clock,extra book to read, guidebooks, etc. with the friend you are travelling with. You don't need a change of clothes for every day either. If you bring quick dry clothes you can wash them out in your hotel room and hang them to dry overnight. A camping towel that absorbs a lot of water is good for rolling your wet clothes in to wring them out. I sometimes use a small travel hair dryer to finish off the job if they don't dry as fast as I need (another item you can share with your friend if you bring one). If you plan on doing the canyoneering or whitewater rafting you need a pair of shoes or sandals that can get wet and will also stay on your feet and grip slippery rocks.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Costa Rica on a Shoestring

Postby tcho2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi all! I'm Tanya, and am also on this trip coming up. It's my first trip of this nature, and I'm really excited, and a little nervous, but really looking forward to it.

I'm looking to go surfing for the first time so if anyone else is planning to do the same, see you there!

Cheers,

Tanya
tcho2

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean