EIUL130330: Ultimate Italy - March 30, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

EIUL130330: Ultimate Italy - March 30, 2013

Postby philthomas » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi All,

First time user on this forum.
Just seeing if anyone is going on this tour or can give me any advice or information if they have been on it previously?

I'm 25, from Australia, travelling alone. I'm doing this two week tour of Italy, then another two weeks in Egypt with another company.

Cheers
Phil
philthomas
User Rank: Weekender

Re: EIUL130330: Ultimate Italy - March 30, 2013

Postby philthomas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Anyone at all, going on this trip??
philthomas

Postby lisasomerfield » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi Phil,

I'm Lisa, 22, also from Australia and also travelling alone. Because my flights get in late I'm joining the group on day 2 or 3 in Siena.

I wasn't quite as organised as you, but have just booked myself in for this tour! I'm super excited and just starting to go into research overdrive, so if you have any good info you've found please send it my way!

Have you started booking tickets for Florence galleries and stuff? I was a bit hesitant to book because of the times and hoping to coordinate what I'm doing with someone else.

Looking forward to it all,
Lisa
lisasomerfield
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby philthomas » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 am

Hi Lisa,

Great to hear from someone else on the trip. And around my age (I'm 25). I was hesitant, not knowing what kinds of aged people might be on the tour.

I haven't booked anything else either, was just about to get onto museum entries etc. I am going to send G-Adventures an email, so will post anything I hear back on this.

Looking forward to the tour.
Cheers
philthomas

Postby philthomas » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:08 am

Lisa,

The following is what I got in reply from emailing G-Adventures. I basically just asked about the timing for booking those extra entrances to museums etc.

"The Ultimate Italy trip details suggest you book tickets in advance for both the Uffizi and Accademia Galleries.

Please note that it is very advisable to book tickets in advance for both the Uffizi and Accademia Galleries. The line-ups at these museums are always long and the time to visit them is limited. You can book online from home before you leave at www.weekendafirenze.com or by phone (+39) 055 294883 from Monday to Friday 8.30am-6.30pm, Saturday 8.30am-12.30pm. If you are interested in purchasing tickets we recommend that you do so once your G Adventure trip is confirmed (up to 2 months before if possible), especially for the ever-popular Uffizi, and for any time after 11am on Day 4 or at any time on Day 5 of your trip. For additional museum resources you might want to refer to this website, www.firenzemusei.it, for more information to plan your day in Florence.

There are no planned activities in Rome, again if you are wanting visit the popular museums such as the Vatican Museums (Sistine Chapel) and Villa Borghese in Rome it is advisable to reserve tickets in advance; www.tickititaly.com.

That basically leaves it as "its up to you, as long as its within those guidelines".

Also, in the email they gave me the list of hotels for each of the cities, which is:
Rome: Hotel Stella
Siena: TBA
Florence: Hotel Nuova Italia
Lucca: Hotel Bernardino
Cinqueterre: Hotel Le Grazie
Varenna: Hotel Monte Codena
Venice: Hotel San Geremia

Cheers
Phil
philthomas

Postby lisasomerfield » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Phil,

Thanks for passing all of that along, its a shame they didn't really give you much more than what the trip notes already told us! I was just looking on one of the booking websites for the galleries in Florence and it looks like tickets are already becoming quite limited, so best to get on to it all ASAP. I'm just going to book for Uffizi and Accademia, either both for Day 5, or one each for Day 4 and 5.

Cheers,
Lisa
lisasomerfield

Postby philthomas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 am

Hi Lisa,

I think I'll probably end up booking for both on Day 5, might just make it easier. There might even be a package deal.
They're not that expensive, so if something messes up, it might be alright.

Where are you from in Australia? And you said you're maybe joining late, are you travelling to other places as well?
philthomas

Postby lisasomerfield » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 am

Hey,

The weekendafirenze website looks best, as it does a combined pass - good value.

I'm from Ballarat (Victoria). What about you?

My flight gets into Rome in the afternoon of Sunday the 31st, so I'll probably get a late bus to Siena and meet you all there on the Monday morning (Day3). But no, this is the sum total of my journey, I work as a teacher, so I only have 2 weeks leave!
lisasomerfield

Postby philthomas » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:00 am

Hi Lisa,

That combo looks like a really good move!
I'm thinking the 11am could be a go. Get up, wander around for breakfast and have a good sleep-in. Thoughts about maybe booking the same time tour?

I'm from Cheltenham (Victoria), near Southland. I'm also a teacher, how funny! I've taken the first two weeks off of Term 2 as well, to go two weeks to Egypt and do a tour there!

Cheers
Phil
philthomas

Postby philthomas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 am

Hi there,

Just putting the thread back at the top of the list. Seeing if anyone else is going on this trip?!

Cheers
Phil
philthomas

Postby lisasomerfield » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:35 am

Hi Phil,

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. I wish I had read this before I booked everything, because I have booked into the galleries starting at 9am - which doesn't sound anywhere near as civilised as your plan! Have you booked already?

I'm starting to get very excited. Looking into what to pack now - its looking a lot colder there at the moment than I was anticipating..

Cheers,
Lisa
lisasomerfield

Postby philthomas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 am

Hi Lisa,

I actually hadn't gotten around to booking just yet. So I might look into booking the 9am as well, might as well get as much out of the day. I'm a bit of a slacker like that!

Did you book for both museums, the Uffizi and Academia?

I agree, the weather is looking a little cooler.

Hopefully hear from you soon, just over a week to go!
Phil
philthomas

Postby philthomas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 am

Hi Lisa,

Just purchased the Combo ticket aswell. It has 9am for the Uffizi Gallery (including the audio guide). Then has 3:15pm for Accademia Gallery.

Apart from that, I haven't looked at booking anything else etc. before hand.

Anything you think of, post on here.

Cheers,
Phil
philthomas

Postby lisasomerfield » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Phil,

That'll be good if we can go together. As far as I can see, nothing else needs booking - I have booked some stuff for Rome, but that is after the tour and only because I am on very limited time!

It looks like I'll be arriving on March 31st (day 2) around 9:30pm . I've been trying to get onto the tour company to organise this, but I'm having a bit of difficulty getting the information through, so if there's any confusion could you let the tour leader know? The exact time depends on whether my flight gets in on time or not, but my aim is to get to Siena that night no matter what!

Looking forward to it,
Lisa
lisasomerfield

Postby philthomas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 am

Hi Lisa,

Sounds good. I also have a couple of extra days in Rome at the end. Looking at going to the Vatican, and my hotel is right next to the Trevi Fountain and the older area of Rome.

I'll make sure to mention it and hopefully it's all sorted before you leave!

Looking forward to it all and will see you in under a week!
Phil
philthomas

Next

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge