malaria tablets?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

malaria tablets?

Postby aliswan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi, going on INDOCHINA ENCOMPASSED trip in January 2013, just wondering the best malaria tablets to get... have looked at malrone tablets but expensive for 6 weeks! Anyone know of any others?
aliswan
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: malaria tablets?

Postby Starbuck86 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Best to contact your doctor, pharmacist or local travel clinic about what anti-malaria meds you'll need. Doxy is very popular as it's fairly cheap but there's a lot of Doxy resistant malaria out there, especially in that part of the world.
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby hannah_89 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:43 am

I am doing indochina and i went for marlarone i paid £30 for 36 tablets, i went for them because i know a few people that suffered with sickness etc on doxy.
hannah_89

Postby sprinter » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:25 pm

I took marlarone while in India. I was worth for the sole reason that you do not have to take it as long. I did not have any side effects.

If you have a medical plan see if it covers the cost. Turns out the plan that I have at work covered it under my drug plan. Nice surprise to find thus out.
sprinter
User Rank: Weekender

Postby banner-boy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Consult your pharmacist/doctor is definitely the 1st thing to say.

However I was strongly recommended to use "malarone" and I had no problems with them and they did the job fine, they are relatively expensive however.
banner-boy

Postby karen harrison » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Hannah - where did you get malarone tablets from at that price?

The cheapest I have seen is £2.25 per tablet.

If anyone knows of anywhere cheaper (from reputable source of course) it would be appreciated as need to get quite a few for a trip to SE Asia - thank you
karen harrison

Postby nikimarcotte » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 am

in 2009, i saw a travel doc about what would work in that area of the world and she said doxycycline was good at that time...so that is what i took, you have to take it every day...only side effect i had was a bit of sun sensitivity...i burned a bit easier.
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby irishdamsel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 am

I was quoted £3 per tablet per day and as I'm doing a six and a half week trip I was recommended that I use Malarone and that I would need them for a period of nine weeks. That's £200 on top of the trip!! I've now been told that the Doxy ones (apart from the sun sensitivity) will work fine, just apply more sunscreen. Prices vary from Pharmacy to Pharmacy I've been told so best to shop around. But regardless of price, an necessity for a trip in Asia.
irishdamsel

Postby wezleyp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 am

My doctor recommended doxycylcine 100mg tablets, once a day with food, 2 days before you go and every day for a week after you return, relatively cheap, $20 australian for 28 tablets
However there are more expensive ones with less side effects but if you dont have side effects from normal antibiotics this will do fine, you will just have to watch out for too much exposure to sun (ie: ALWAYS wear sunscreen) as it makes you more photosensitive

Hope this helps :)
wezleyp

Postby marieclaire24 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:12 pm

my doc hustled me man , i just paid £88 for 5 weeks worth ....then i read the posts... :x
marieclaire24

Postby condylus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 am

I've done the indochina tour last year in July / august and din't take any malaria pills.
75% of the group didn't take malaria pills and we were all fine :)
Just take a strong insect repellant and you are good to go! DEET55% is the way to go ;)
condylus

Return to Asia