First Impression of Kathmandu, photos!

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

First Impression of Kathmandu, photos!

Postby kirstenrose » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 am

http://jumbleofletters.wordpress.com/20 ... ita-pizza/

my first day and night in Kathmandu, with photos. Still need to translate from my journals to my blog the rest of my trip! Wish I was still in Nepal, it is the most wonderful country!!!
kirstenrose
User Rank: Traveller

Re: First Impression of Kathmandu, photos!

Postby sinecure » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:32 pm

thanks for sharing your first impressions of Kathmandu, please keep us updated.
sinecure

Postby whatcher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Great pictures! I can't wait to go back in June!

-Bill

whatcher
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby kirstenrose » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 am

Thank you for the replies, have just been putting the finishing touches on my blog about the trek and will share it with this forum shortly. :)
kirstenrose

Postby sonnysdream » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 pm

I am wanting to this trip in May, your blog and pictures are inspiring. My only concern is am I fit enough to do this trek ( I am into day 29 of 130 of training to get into better shape ). What did you find to be the most difficult part of the trek? I was fortunate enough to trek the Inca trail a couple of years ago so I am aware what high elevations can do my body. Did anyone in your group experience elevation sickness? Thanks again fro taking the time to share your words and pictures of your time in Nepal.

Travis
sonnysdream

Postby kirstenrose » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 am

Hey Travis, I think if you do 130 days of training then you will surely be fit enough for this trek. The one thing I think to remember is just the type of training, as we had one man in his late 30s who had spent all his time training at the gym and he struggled with some portions of the trek as he had not done enough endurance training by going on long km walks.. However, that being said, he was slightly slower than some of us in the group, but he definitely handled the trek and there was no point where it seemed like he wouldn't be able to complete it. I was pretty slack with my training and I really had not trained enough when I started the trek, the first day I was so worried I wouldn't be able to hack it, but fortunately for me, my body adapted to the 'trekking day' so to speak very well and by day 4 I was walking with the fitter group. It just depends on the individual I guess and also age may play a factor too with regards to how quickly my fitness increased on the trek.

I also am a strong believer in the fact that your mind being focused to keep moving forward no matter how tired you think you are just so long as you get to that next tea stop or lodge for the night. There were a couple of days that I had a difficult time with as I had injured my knee and literally had to speak to myself out loud that I wasn't in pain so that I could keep on walking to the next point, but each day has its highs and low points in terms of difficulty. Some days we walked for a longer duration of hours but the walk itself may have been more gentle, whereas shorter day walks had more difficult inclines. Though they have a joke in Nepal where they say the portion of the track is "Nepalese Flat" which just means a big downhill followed by a bigger uphill as there really isn't much flat. We had another lady in her 30s in our group who also managed to complete this and had done next to no training and was pretty unfit, but she just took her time and got there in the end.

One of the guys in the group suffered from altitude sickness at MBC (3700m) and he couldn't come up to ABC (4130m), but he had previously had a head injury which may have likely impacted on why he was susceptible. Nobody else got altitude sickness aside from just feeling a bit 'under the weather' at ABC. Also our night at ABC was ridiculously freezing and horrible, but going in May it will be much warmer and you shouldn't experience the same cold.

I went off on a rambling tangent, but to summarise, I definitely think you won't need to worry overly about fitness because your body will adapt and there will always be at least one other person who will want to take it slow if you do find yourself struggling at certain points. The struggle kinda makes it all the more rewarding though :) ABC is just such a beautiful and lovely trek, you will enjoy it greatly!!
kirstenrose

Postby sonnysdream » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Thank-you for the words of encouragment Kristen, and all the examples you gave about members in your group. it was the kind of feedback I was looking for. I have made up my mind to do this trip, my exercising regime is increasing my stamina and so far I have been dedicated to staying on it ( this trip is a nice incentive ) so I am feeling better about my ability to this trek.
sonnysdream

Postby kirstenrose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 am

That's fantastic! You will love the trip and the memories and sense of achievement once you have completed it will stay with you always I think :) I'm sure you will fall in love with Nepal, I think its pretty hard not to!
kirstenrose

Postby sonnysdream » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 pm

I am hoping all that is true as I booked my trip tonite, I leave in 3 months! Would appreciate any words of advice.

Travis
sonnysdream

Return to Asia