Where to go in Africa?

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Where to go in Africa?

Postby baga_azul » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:54 am

Hi everyone,

This question is maybe a bit vague, but I'm wondering where to go in Africa to see animals. As many as possible, and including giraffes, zebras, elephants, rhinos, hypos... And nice landscapes. Which countries and national parks are good options? I'm thinking of going around September/October for around 3 weeks.

Thanks!
baga_azul
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Where to go in Africa?

Postby ballu » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Kenya, Tanzania or South Africa are probably your best bets...
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby baga_azul » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
I was also hearing about Botswana. Are the other 3 options a better option for animal variety for the 1st time in Africa?
baga_azul

Postby DanielBMe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:17 pm

If you are going on safari for the very first time I would highly recommend Tanzania. You simply cannot beat it. It has the Serengeti, Tarangire, Selous, Ruaha, Ngorongoro, etc..Botswana is fantastic but very expensive. It really doesn't lend itself to overland tours. I did a 15 day self drive safari through Botswana last July and had a fantastic time and saw plenty of wildlife. However, when it comes to sheer volume and diversity of landscapes, Tanzania takes the cake!
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby Starbuck86 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Tanzania and/or Zambia, for sure. You should check out the Nairobi-Vic Falls tour. Three weeks of incredible landscapes, fantastic game viewing and brilliant fun. You'll see just about everything there is to see, including the Big 5, aside from gorillas.
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:15 am

Casting my vote for Kenya...has the "Northern Five" which includes the gerenuk and oryx. Samburu was the best game park in our opinion. It is a relatively recent addition to the safari circuit We saw lots and lots of animals in Kenya. We liked Tanzania also but Kenya was a fave!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby baga_azul » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:54 am

Thanks a lot everyone! I'm already looking forward to it!
baga_azul

Postby lesliew » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:47 am

I went to Tanzania in October 2011 and I highly recommend it! We saw the Big 5, plus pretty much every animal. We visited 3 different national parks. A great thing about October is that it was lion mating season in the Serengeti, and many couples were paired up and laying right next to the road. We saw so many male lions with the beautiful manes! I also loved Tanzania for the differing landscapes....the Serengeti is so vast, and the Ngorongoro Crater is absolutely breathtaking! As a bonus, I also caught a glimpse of Mt Kilimanjaro on my way to the airport.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby sarahfromaustralia » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Each part of Africa offers something different but if you are looking for wildlife my pick would be East Africa. I've travelled through Kenya, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and Rwanda and they are all lovely however I find South Africa more natural wonder based (Vic Falls/Okavango Delta) and East Africa for amazing landscapes and animals. Hope this helps :)
sarahfromaustralia
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby baga_azul » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:17 am

Thanks! It will be Kenya and Tanzania for my 1st time. :-)
Now I'm just wondering if October or September. I would prefer October, but I read that the rain starts in October, so maybe September?
baga_azul

Postby DanielBMe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:44 pm

DanielBMe

Return to Africa and Middle East