Argentina to Brazil on a shoestring

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Argentina to Brazil on a shoestring

Postby catnew » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 am

Hi there

I am thinking of booking the Argentina to Brazil on a shoestring tour departing Buenos Aires on 23/02/13. I'm planning on spending a couple of days in BA prior to the trip (21/02 and 22/02) and a couple of days in Rio after (05/03 and 06/03).

I'm a bit nervous about being there alone. Just wondered if anyone else has been there and can offer any advice or if anyone is going to be there at the same time and would be interested in meeting up.

Catherine
catnew
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Argentina to Brazil on a shoestring

Postby catnew » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Also interested in hearing from anyone who has already done this trip.

Thanks

Catherine
catnew

Postby cristina.colwell@hotmail.com » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Hey Catherine! I will be going on this trip! would like to hear who else will be going on it too! Wow I will be in Buones Aires those two days before the trip starts on the 23 as well! And there is a possibility that I will be staying in Rio till about the 8th of March after the tour finishes on the 5th of March!
cristina.colwell@hotmail.com

Postby jackie0208 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 am

Hi- Im also considering this trip. I'm still investigating all details but I'm unsure about the reputation of this company. Does anyone know if there's some sort of validating organization that can vouch for this company?

Jackie
jackie0208

Postby laura.b » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi there! I've just come back from a stay in Brazil and visited Iguacu, Paraty and Rio on my own and had a great time. Its a great country and theres some amazing stuff to see so I would definitely suggest you go for it! Looking at the trip details I can reccomend pretty much all of it - and definitely some extra time in Rio. I'd heard a lot of bad things about Rio and I was a bit apprehensive as a girl on my own but had absolutely no problems. I stayed in Botafogo away from the main tourist areas but still easy to get to the sights on the buses, the main advantage was that I was surrounded by normal Rio folks getting on with their lives and not trying to rip-off tourists! I know other people though who stuck to Copacabana and had no issues. I'm sure BA is great too, I'm visiting there later in the year so I hope so!

If you have a bit of time maybe get a bit of basic Portuguese under your belt, as English can be patchy in Brazil but in the places you'll be going you should be ok, it just helps smooth things along I think :lol: It will be great anyway!

Also to Jackie, I have done a couple of trips with G (although not in South America) and not had any problems. I preferred them to a similar company that I took a trip with once.
laura.b

Postby jasonatl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 pm

I took the same trip in late November/early December and like you're planning, arrived early in BA. I won't post the name of the hostel I stayed in because it was marginal but after Rio, I flew back to BA and spent the better part of a week at the Terrazas Estoril hostel instead. The location was just down the street from the Argentine congress so it was easy to walk to almost everything. Most of the other travelers staying there were English speakers so if your Spanish isn't great, it's nice to have people you can talk to effortlessly. My Spanish is limited to a few words and phrases but I was able to function ok in BA. Both times in BA I used the Manuel Tienda León bus to get from the airport to downtown and then to the hostel. It was a good compromise between trying to the use the city bus (cheap but slow and some say a bit dangerous) and a private taxi (expensive). While in BA I did both a bus tour and walking tour. The walking tour was much more interesting but the bus tour covers quite a bit more ground. If you have US dollars, you can use them to get good deals since almost everybody gives a much better exchange rate than the official bank rate. This is only true in Argentina. In Brazil you're better off with the bank rate.

Rio was a bit of a bust for me. It was rainy and cloudy the whole time. On the second day someone attacked me in broad day light on Ipanema beach even though I was in a group. Luckily I was able to fight him off enough to get away. It is a beautiful city and I probably just had some bad luck but I was happy when I got on the plane to go back to Buenos Aires. Hopefully you have a better time in Rio than I did.

There's not much to say about Iguacu because there really aren't any words that can do it justice. I'll just say that the boat ride is worth the money. Paraty is lovely though watch out for Captain Jack ;) After the excitement of Iguacu, the laid back atmosphere in Paraty was perfect. There was much debate in my group over whether or not Paraty was going to become the next big tourist destination. I certainly hope not because it is quite charming the way it is now.
jasonatl
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jackie0208 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:33 am

Thanks Laura.. I appreciate your input.
jackie0208

Return to South America