Kilimanjaro Marangu Route Footwear

Immerse yourself in the rich, cultural tapestry that makes this continent so vibrant and colourful. Experience the natural highlights and get face to face with the real Africa.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Kilimanjaro Marangu Route Footwear

Postby jeremybalog » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:50 am

Gadventures says bring waterproof hiking boots, but I'll be hiking in a puddle of sweat if I do. My friend who has done the Appalachian Trail/Pacific Crest Trail/Continental Divide Trail suggested trail runners should be fine--if they get wet they will dry overnight. Other websites suggest knee high gaiters with boots because of high waters in the low lying areas and summiting in snow. So what should a reasonable person wear?

I'm comfortable wearing trail runners without ankle support, but if I'm going to end up with wet feet the entire time due to standing water, I'll pack boots. Even then, are gaiters a necessity?
jeremybalog
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Kilimanjaro Marangu Route Footwear

Postby jasonatl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:58 am

I wore trail shoes to majority of the climb. The first day was through the rain forest so I did wear gaiters because it was wet and muddy. The water was never deep but there was lots and lots of mud along with plenty of other hikers on the trail stirring it up. Gaiters don't add much bulk to your pack so I'd absolutely recommend bringing a pair.

I did wear fleece lined motorcycle boots on the climb to the summit and the climb back down the rest of that day. They were water resistant (not water proof) which was good enough for the task at hand and they breathed. It's cold enough during the summit climb that you'd probably regret wearing runners. The fleece plus arctic hiking socks kept my feet warm, dry, and blister free. Plus on the way down you have to spend several hours sliding through scree. Stopping every few minutes to empty your shoes of rocks would get annoying fast. The scree is deep enough that even with short boots I'd wear gaiters. You might be partially out of your mind from the altitude and night of hiking so anything you can do to make things go better is worth the effort.

For the hike back down through the rain forest, go with what you feel most comfortable in. If your feet get wet, you'll be back at the hotel in a few hours anyway. At the gate we exited through, which will be different than the one on your route, there were several locals who would clean your shoes for a couple of dollars so you could always do that and have a change of socks in your day pack.

Best wishes and remember to heed the warnings of the guides: polepole. Altitude sickness can sneak up on you especially on the Marangu route.
jasonatl
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby coqui14 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:04 pm

I did it wearing trail runners semi-boot water proof. The last day i used a thicker pair of sox and I was totally fine. My shoes were multipurpose. You don't need any special shoes or equipment to do the marangu route. Just get something warm for the last day and summit. Good luck.
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby danib » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 am

I did the Marangu route about 4 weeks ago, and I used waterproof hiking boots. I would strongly recommend taking proper hiking boots as runners or sneakers will kill your feet by day 3 and if it rains you'll be very uncomfortable. I purchased hiking boots about 8 weeks before I left and wore them in about twice a week in the lead up. I had no blisters and feet remained dry and comfortable the whole way! :)
danib

Postby jeremybalog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:36 pm

danib wrote:I did the Marangu route about 4 weeks ago, and I used waterproof hiking boots. I would strongly recommend taking proper hiking boots as runners or sneakers will kill your feet by day 3 and if it rains you'll be very uncomfortable. I purchased hiking boots about 8 weeks before I left and wore them in about twice a week in the lead up. I had no blisters and feet remained dry and comfortable the whole way! :)

Thanks for the reply. I actually just got back from Kili today. I only brought a pair of New Balance 479 Trail Runners with me and was fine. In fact, I was the only one whose feet weren't cold on the summit wearing only wool socks and trail runners. We did not have any heavy rain though, which I'm sure helped. My feet were fine and I only got one blister on one heel due to the fact my trail runners were old and a piece on the by the heel started coming off and rubbing.
jeremybalog

Return to Africa and Middle East