Inca Trail - Hiking Boots or Shoes?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Inca Trail - Hiking Boots or Shoes?

Postby bcassidy003 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Wasn't able to find prior posts/topics on this as I only saw small mentions of it. But boots or shoes for hiking the trail? I'm leaning towards shoes just based on the heavier weight of the boots, especially due to the number of steps and how that extra weight will add up on each foot step.

So do more people wear boots or shoes? Is it more of personal preference? Or is it more people worrying about rolling their ankles and going with the boots instead? Or do I just go barefoot (kidding of course...)?

I was just going to wear boots at first but now find myself leaning towards shoes due to being lighter weight.
bcassidy003
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Inca Trail - Hiking Boots or Shoes?

Postby markmol » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 pm

hi
It is a personal preference, i did wear boots & other people in my group wore shoes, all of us made it, as you say the last thing you need is to roll an ankle, it will more than likely rain at some stage & the steps on the way down can be pretty slippery. Talking of barefoot You will be surprised at the foot ware of the porters, they will be wearing some form of sandal as you struggle upwards or downward they motor past you carrying a 30kg load.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby graybeard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I wonder where all the numerous prior threads on this very topic have disappeared?

Anyway, as noted by Markmol, the best choice is.... personal preference. I wore high cut hiking boots - better ankle support for these old feet. I saw others wearing low cut hiking boots, trainers and, in one very unfortunate case, a pair of construction-style work boots. The best boots are the ones you have already broken in and that feel good. Do NOT show up with new, never used boots. Unless, of course, you long for the pain of blisters. And, even though you did not mention it, renting a pair of adjustable hiking poles are a great idea -- both for overall balance and to help out the knees on those slippery stone steps going downhill.
graybeard

Postby leahlovestravel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:16 pm

What ever you want to use, make sure it isn't in your checked luggage on the plane in case your luggage gets lost.
And ditto on all the above. I had boots as like others I wanted the ankle support.
Have an amazing trip. You're going to love it!
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ballu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Either is fine...I went with boots. I've had issues with my ankles in the past...and happened to sprain one of them a few days before the hike so was grateful for the extra support. The trail can also be slippery, well worn wet rocks, so something with good grip would be helpful.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 am

Also had high-cut boots. I found wonderful ones that were actually lighter than any trainers I've ever owned. Boot doesn't mean heavy. Yes also to collapsible poles and having boots in your possession. One of our group did not get her luggage before we left for the trail. She had to buy everything new the day before we left for the hike. Take sandals for camp. Feels SO good at the end of the day!
Enjoy...it was an amazing trip!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby graybeard » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Hey there Inca trail 50.... I thought you would respond to this post. I like your new avatar. Great lion! Which trip was that from??
graybeard

Return to South America