DPJA130321: Egypt & Jordan Adventure - March 21st, 2013

A selection of threads from the Departure Lounge. These trips have already departed.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

DPJA130321: Egypt & Jordan Adventure - March 21st, 2013

Postby retrospeck » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi there!

I just booked this trip! This is my third G Adventures (went to South America first, and China second), I'm a female from California traveling solo for this leg of my trip. After Jordan I am backpacking with friends for another 3 1/2 weeks around Europe before heading back home.

I arrive in Cairo on March 20th (one day before the tour starts), and have always met up with fellow tour members before the tour, so if anyone would like to hang out let me know!

Can't wait to meet you all!
retrospeck
User Rank: Weekender

Re: DPJA130321: Egypt & Jordan Adventure - March 21st, 2013

Postby dawen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi,

So glad to see another solo female traveller! I'm very interested in a March departure date but can't make the decision at the moment. My only concern is about safety. What if the situation gets worse by March? What's your take on this issue?

Wendy
dawen

Postby retrospeck » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:51 pm

My friend went on this trip a few months ago at the same time Egypt was all over the news cause they were burning American flags and attacking the US Embassy. She said the "scariest" part was that men harass you if you are out on your OWN, like excessive cats calls, and haggling you to buy things, but this is the same thing another friend told me when she visited YEARS AGO.

I've also been reading a few travel blogs of females that have visited Egypt post revolution. They have mentioned the men just bugging females, but said going with a tour group was the way to go!

I'm getting the airport transfer for sure, and not walking out in Cairo on my own!
retrospeck

Postby andrea83 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi everyone!!

I just did this exact tour a month and a half ago (November 2012). It was totally fine and I was completely safe (I was also was a single female traveller from Canada). There was never a time I felt unsafe there. In fact, I guess there was a protest going on and my friends back home were emailing me to see if I was ok, and I had no clue that it was happening!! I do recommend that you get the airport pickup voucher cause the hotel is about 45 min from the airport. The streets are chaos and it might be overwhelming to leave the airport on your own (although some single females in my group did take taxis from the airport). The people there were very friendly and helpful. The vendors may try to hustle you and jack up the prices, but you can negotiate on anything. Also, your tour guide will tell you what things should cost so you have an idea what you should negotiate your prices at. The worst that happened were men calling after you but most of the time its because they wanted you to buy something at their shop and not that they were trying to marry you. Although I did get three marriage proposals with a dowery of 80 camels, lol! All I can say is don't believe the media hype that Egypt is this crazy country. Egypt and Jordan are very different but both wonderful experiences. I would recommend this tour and I hope you go! I hope that helps.
andrea83
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby dawen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:00 am

Thanks so much for the information Andrea!
dawen

Postby chels<3travel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi ladies!

I just booked this tour too. I am a solo female traveller, coming from Alberta, Canada.

I am so excited to meet you! And to travel around Egypt & Jordan!

I am Chelsea by the way :D
chels<3travel
User Rank: Traveller

Postby dawen » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:11 am

Thumb up to another solo female! This makes this group so attractive! Wish I can say I'm confirmed right now : S I'll start my trip preparations, ie. getting days off work, and hopefully come back with good news!
dawen

Postby retrospeck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 am

Hi Chelsea!

Glad to see another solo female traveler booked on this trip!

When do you arrive to Egypt? I am arriving a day before at the starting hotel.

Dawen- have you booked yet?
retrospeck

Postby chels<3travel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:02 am

I wish I was getting in a day early, but unfortunately not. I get in late on the Thursday evening (21st). I will probably miss the meet & greet meeting :(
Either way, I am so excited for Egypt/Jordan & the adventure to come! And to meet all the people on the tour, which I was told is mainly solo females!
chels<3travel

Postby dawen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Sorry about the late reply. My boss is still thinking about it : S It's during a busy time at work.

However, I'm ready to book it last minute. I already figured out my flight schedules, etc!

Keeping fingers crossed.
dawen

Postby chels<3travel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Where are you coming from? Double check if you need to obtain a travel visa prior to entering the country. I am coming from Canada, and had to send in my passport & paperwork to the Ottawa Egyptian Consulate. It only took them 3 days to process, but it is required. Just giving you a heads up, in case :)
chels<3travel

Postby sylviembelanger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi girls!
I'm doing the same trip, but one week prior!
I was told that it was not necessary to send in my passport to get an Egyptian visa for Canadians, but rather to buy it at the airport for 15$. Can anyone confirm that they are doing the same?

Thanks a bunch!
Sylvie
sylviembelanger

Postby dawen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 am

Thanks Chelsea for the info! I'm coming from Canada as well : )

Unfortunately ladies, I have to give up this departure date as my work is not letting me go. I'm going to postpone to a May date because I'm part of a wedding party in April.

I sincerely wish all of you have a wonder trip (4 weeks to depart)! Hope I can get in touch with you later for some trip advice!

Wen
dawen

Return to Archive from the Departure Lounge